Cart #gdiahaze-4 | 2019-06-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hi!

Greyknurl Diahaze is a tile-based puzzle and treasure-collecting game with nine large levels. There's stuff to read and experiment with and a mysterious little story that unfolds along the way. It doesn't really entirely make sense, but that's part of the point! Don't get discouraged - most of the levels have multiple angles of approach, depending on the clothes you pick before the first level begins!

Cursor keys to move, (O) to reset the level. (O) is assumed to be Z.

Thanks for checking this out! If you liked the game, share your high score!

(four fixes:

• fixed score and hp clash with resetting the level

• unbroke the digging tool stats

• stat bonuses are now retained
  • resetting the score counter on start, too!

• removing "Demo Version" from the label
  • resetting the level counter on start)
P#65227 2019-06-16 03:01 ( Edited 2019-06-19 06:13)

I only had time today to play through the first two levels but this is a clever little puzzler! I’ll definitely be coming back to finish it.

and hey, I really like hazel! it’s always a treat to see another foxy face :3

P#65248 2019-06-18 06:43

ok, I finally played through it. phew! this game is seriously interesting. the way the clothes you wear change how you approach puzzles is superbly executed, it's clear you put a lot of thought into this game. the music is also excellent, and really helps set the mood. all that combined with the lore and treasures hidden in the tower, I can definitely see myself coming back for repeat plays.

one notable bug: resetting with the circle button doesn't reset the score to where it was at the start of the level, allowing you to rack up infinite points by grabbing items and respawning and grabbing em again.

also, since you almost always know if the next move will kill you, there's nothing stopping a player from choosing to reset instead of dying. personally I think dying should just cause the player to reset instead of sending them back to the start. and if you're adamant on the last level killing the player if they fail, I'd recommend disabling the reset button so the player can't accidentally end the game when they just wanted to retry.

all that said, I only have one real question left: what is "greyknurl diahaze" supposed to mean? unless there's an encrypted message, the phrase doesn't seem to be mentioned in the code, aside from when it's used as the game's title.

P#65273 2019-06-19 00:59

hey, thanks for giving this such an in-depth playthrough :3

i know about the problems with resets vs game overs and i'm sorta frustrated I put in game overs at all, now that I think about it. i was in old-school puzzle game mode when there was no need for it.

regarding teh name, it doesn't really mean very much - the overall setting in my mind is called the Greyknurl, and my starting point for inspiration was an old DOS game called "Diamaze"!

P#65278 2019-06-19 05:31

oh! I get it, diamaze/hazel=diahaze. that’s clever! I’d suggest putting that in the description so people know the inspiration for the game.

also I totally understand being in a retro game mood and making things harder than they needed to be. fortunately, I actually ended up patching out game overs in my copy of the game— which actually briefly put me over the compression limit. it’s kinda impressive how tightly packed the game is in terms of size, aha

P#65337 2019-06-22 01:13

You can't go wrong with that name.

P#65723 2019-07-09 14:51

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 17:58:49 | 0.011s | Q:23