Cart #yuparebodo-0 | 2019-01-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#61392 2019-01-31 13:36

NICE!!! Great level design. Here's a bit of code we've been saving for an upcoming video on creating bottomless pit hazards:

if player.y>127 then _init() end

Just put that at the end of player_update() and that will check if the player fell off the bottom of the screen and if so then it will run _init() which will basically reset the game.

Glad you learned a lot from the tutorials and thanks for the feedback! (We like how you tucked it inside the game code lol)

Did you create the player and map tile sprites yourself?

P#61400 2019-01-31 18:13

oh wow, thanks for the code there. I can see that bit of code and understand what it's saying now. I have been through mountains of tutorials trying to figure out lua but nothing really clicked until i watched your videos. the visual explanations on the side are key!

i liked the way lazy devs checked back to the game quite often to show exactly how that code had affected the game.
i followed your tutorials flawlessly until collision. it felt like quite a leap from what we were doing before. although i understood it at 0.75 speed on youtube, i just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run at the end.

i repliicated the rocks from this picture

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/372391462936358002/

i used this animation tutorial to figure out a running cylce here

http://www.gameanim.com/2017/06/10/miniboss-pixel-art-tutorials/

i made everything else. expecially proud of my little green dude. he took a couple hours of pixelpuzzling.

had a ton of fun so far and really apreciate what your doing guys. i wouldn't even bother sharing this but after watching you guys get excited from the showcase i decided its my job to help fan the fire and keep you guys motivated to keep helping us

=D thanks again.

P#61416 2019-01-31 22:26

No problem! It is definitely motivating to see the results and impact created from our tutorials. So thank you for sharing!

Yeah, even we realized the map collision was a bit of a jump in difficulty when we were planning how to explain all of its little details and all the math involved, so we totally understand. And we have been concerned that we weren't running the game enough between adding code snippets which we know feels like mini checkpoints, so we'll try to do that more often. We are big fans of Lazy Devs so we know exactly what you mean. =)

Those are really good references to use for your art and animation. As teachers, we see a lot of students get stuck on the false idea that they have to create everything from scratch themselves and be completely original. But actually, being resourceful and able to find and use references is a major part of learning and creating.

We would love to put this in a showcase, or a later version of it when you feel it is ready. The way you used the "ground" vs "platform" map tiles to create the illusion of 2 background layers is another great twist we didn't even imagine doing with it, so that would be very cool to highlight and present to others.

Just let us know by email.

P#61426 2019-02-01 08:00

i would love to be featured in a showcase xD. i have added a few more features so there's some more talking points. unfortunately i dont know how to export my cart. or find your email? xD

P#61463 2019-02-02 15:14

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 11:00:00 | 0.010s | Q:20