I'm happy to announce my very first contribution to the Pico-8 community, which is a spin-off of Makiki's game title "A lone colony on a small planet".
Your goal now is to colonize an even smaller planet, but with some difficulties added to it. So this one is a more of a thinking game, while Makikis original is more of fast builder.
"You have been given a mission. You need to purify a small planet, so we will be able to colonize it. It is rich in resources, so it shouldn't pose a big problem for you. We believe in your management skills. Good luck." -- Makiki
- O to build.
- X is a multi tool.
- build faster. you can keep it pressed and move around.
- select what to build by using X over an existing building
- get information about a building
- change transport type
- show the map and statistics
Hint to get started: produce energy and connect the energy producer to quarries. Once powered, they start mining minerals.
More hints (spoiler):
- you can build "transport" tiles to transport about everything: energy, coal and oil
- prefer hydro plants over solar panels, they are cheaper. connect the hydro plants to your quarries with transport
- building transportation is cheap. you can use them as a switch by removing a transport tile. It's possible to re-route energy that way.
- activate the core by delivering coal and oil to it
- once activated, it functions as the core of a purifier cluster. All purifiers adjacent to it work together.
Development details (spoiler):
I liked the setting of Makiki's game, so I invested 2 weeks into it to add features, tweak the game and learn about Pico-8 and Lua along the way.
- random map generator (had to remove Makiki's hand drawn map, sadly)
- producers of energy, coal and oil need to be connected to their producers
- to get the path finding/validation to work took me ages. My very first experience with Lua though.
- transport tiles to transport any goods over a larger distance
- core works as a purifier cluster core.
- I think this one is a nice idea, as it replaces late-game grinding with late-game "I need to rewire a few things". On the other hand, It's perfectly possible to win without activating and using the core, and I think it's both fun in their own ways.
- lots of tweaks and balancing on the ui, controls and game elements
- lots of memory and cpu optimization. I still ended up to reduce map size to prevent out of memory errors in the late game. Which actually results in a good game length. It finishes just before you need to start grinding. Thus the title "Colony on a tiny planet. ;)
Glad to hear you're having some fun :)
To get oil, build an "oil extractor" on deep water. Note that "transport" transfers only one resource type at a time, color coded as yellow=electricity, brown=coal, blue=oil. You can switch the type of transport by using the X button while pointing on a transport tile on the map.
If you still can reproduce the glitch, let me know.
[Please log in to post a comment]