Cart #58087 | 2018-10-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A program created for TAP at Georgia Gwinnett College.

Object: Fly through the universe collecting planets while avoiding alien invaders! Collect 7 planets to win!

Controls: 'x' button fires lasers
'z' button fires missiles that destroy aliens AND asteroids. They regenerate after a few seconds once fired.
'up' button to fly up
'down' button to fly down
'left' button to fly left
'right' button to fly right

How high can you scores?

P#58088 2018-10-18 12:59 ( Edited 2018-11-21 20:17)

Ah, finally won the game. Guys, the "X" button launches a bomb that blows up the raisins. It renews over time.

P#58101 2018-10-18 14:50 ( Edited 2018-10-18 18:50)

A fellow Gwinnett resident! Well done.

It's a bit frustrating to have to line the ship up pixel perfect to go through one-tile-wide gaps in walls. You may want to consider making the game "nudge" the player over if the collision only overlaps the corner of the tile by a few pixels. A lot of old RPGs do this.

P#58461 2018-10-26 21:33 ( Edited 2018-10-27 01:33)

Hi, I'm the other student who helped make this game! We're glad to hear your responses and feedback.

There is a small clarification to the controls; the 'Z' button fires lasers, and the 'X' does missiles.

We created this game in about 3 months, learning Lua and the Pico-8 environment along the way, to demonstrate aspects of computer programming to middle, high school and college students as part of our outreach class "TAP", the "Technology Ambassadors Program". You can read more about the program, and the accomplishments made by previous TAP students, at the following link: https://ggctap.wordpress.com/

We received good, constructive feedback regarding the game from visitors and students at our TAP Expo, held on campus, and at our interactive class workshops for introductory Information Technology classes. We were pleased at the high amount of engagement that users reported while playing the game and taking part in our workshops. Going forward, I personally hope to continue developing Solar Sailor, such as adding content or usability tweaks, based on the accumulation of all the feedback we have been given. Currently, my focus is more toward wrapping up my senior year of college and moving forward to graduation with a degree in Software Development.

If and when we add any updates to the game, we will be sure to post them here!
Thank you for reading! ✨

P#59274 2018-11-21 15:17 ( Edited 2018-11-21 20:17)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 05:55:45 | 0.011s | Q:19