For those of you unfamiliar with Winnitron, here's a brief description:

The Winnitron 1000 is a free-to-play independent video game arcade cabinet featuring new games created by indie game developers from Winnipeg and across the globe!

The Winnitron isn't exclusive to Winnipeg, though, as the cabinet has made its way to places like this year's GDC in San Francisco. It currently features popular indie titles like Canabalt and Super Crate Box.

Voxatron would be a great fit on the machine, given how arcadey the design is and how easy it is to pick up. It even seems to meet all the requirements for the cabinet:

• "Games that encourage short play times are preferred, so that many different players will take turns on the machine. Adding finite lives or a timer are some “pressures” that you may want to apply to limit the play time of a given player."

This looks fine.

• "The controls of your game must be the following, and no other keys may be used:
    Player 1
    Directions: Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Up Arrow, Down Arrow
    Buttons: Z, X
    Player 2
    Directions: J (left), K (down), I (up), L (right)
    Buttons: N, M
    Home Button
    Buttons: 1"

The game is already controlled using those exact keys. From what I understand, local multiplayer will come in a future update as well.

• "Highscores are optional, you do not need them to submit your game. However, if you wish to store highscores, have them synced to the online database and featured on the Winnitron 1000 website, you will want to use the methods described below."

Voxatron already has a highscore system in place too, although I suppose a bit of extra work would need to be done to get the scores to be submitted to the Winnitron site.

I know it's not exactly a priority right now, with the game still in alpha and many crucial updates underway, but I think it would be great to see the game make its way to the arcade cabinet somewhere down the road. Its Smash TV-esque design lends itself well to the machine and I'm sure it would generate extra publicity for the game to have it set up in a public setting like at big gaming events.

Thoughts?

P#5627 2011-12-28 19:18 ( Edited 2012-01-03 18:44)

This would be a great thing. Lets see if we can get zep to see this. Where he lives could be a problem, but lets try!

P#5628 2011-12-28 19:35 ( Edited 2011-12-29 00:35)

Hey guys, We were in touch with Zep a while back when Voxatron was first announced :) I'd love to see this on the network too, but it's ultimately up to him :)

P#5682 2012-01-03 13:44 ( Edited 2012-01-03 18:44)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 22:59:31 | 0.007s | Q:18