You definitely need to add sound effects though.
Also, I found it quite hard to distinguish between items, tiles, and mobs. I'm wondering if it's possible to change the aesthetics so that items use a subset of the palette, tiles another subset, and so on?
I'm still on the fence about adding sound, normally I don't care much for sound in Roguelikes, but as a Pico-8 game it does feel weird for it to be silent.
The color choices are definitely my next priority. It's a nice change of pace to focus on a visual design problem for a while, and take a break from making my code more dense and inelegant.
Updates: I added sound effects, and tweaked a bunch of things to improve game balance, visibility, and stability. Other than that, I've mostly been working on things that will let me force more actual game content into the cartridge. I can now parse nested tables of any depth from strings, which should allow for some interesting tricks. The next update will focus more on adding new items, structures, and enemies.
[Please log in to post a comment]