Cart #32126 | 2016-10-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

As a lonely ghost, trapped in your house for a thousand years, you finally have a roommate - you'll do anything for them to notice you! When they want something, go knock it off their shelf and bring it to them - but don't let anything hit the floor and shatter! They'll flee their haunted house...

Left/right cursor keys to move. Bump objects off the shelf and bounce them off yourself to bring them to the human - don't let them fall!

(my first game using PICO-8; the code is a bit messy, sorry!)
(also there's no real learning curve)
(it's also here: https://piconaut.itch.io/notice-me)
(I'd really appreciate any feedback at all!)

P#32089 2016-10-30 16:28 ( Edited 2016-10-31 22:40)

This is an interesting idea and very cute. :)

But it seems to keep randomly resetting D:
I'll just barely manage to get them a cup, and then (seemingly) for no reason, the game will reset my progress.
Edit: I should probably make it clear that I mean it'll reset without me dropping anything.

Is there a bug preventing me from playing the game properly, or do I just really suck at playing this? :P

P#32091 2016-10-30 18:27 ( Edited 2016-10-30 22:29)

Hi, thank you! Hmm I haven't come across that... Does that happen on the very first cup? Because sometimes I have missed one, then kept going because I didn't notice, and then have it reset a few items later... It does take a few seconds to reset after dropping one, because it shows some text in the mean time. Otherwise - hmmm, I'll keep testing it! Thank you for your comment!

P#32093 2016-10-30 19:06 ( Edited 2016-10-30 23:06)

This was very hard for me. I couldn't really figure out the hit zone on the items getting to the table, and it seemed very possible to have a falling item just be impossible to get to in time.

I like being a cute little ghost though! I think you have something good going here.

I also found it confusing how you can still play in the "game over" state. Needs to be more feedback the game's really over, and not let you play. (Maybe a zoom in on the ghost.. Maybe the ghost could have speech bubbles instead of a line at the bottom?)

P#32101 2016-10-30 23:30 ( Edited 2016-10-31 03:30)

Hi - thank you so much for your input! I just updated it, and addressed your first two problems. Now, the items should hit the table whenever they are past the table leg.

To fix the problem that sometimes the falling items might be impossible to hit, I made their speeds proportional to your speed when hitting the shelf - so if you're going faster or slower, the items will also go faster or slower respectively, and they are always within reach!

Yes, I'll admit that that can be confusing - I might add a clearer game over screen, but that will be a task for another day!

Thank you again - I hope these changes improve it!

P#32110 2016-10-31 01:24 ( Edited 2016-10-31 05:24)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 10:37:38 | 0.011s | Q:21