So I was thinking about making a VST Synth that uses the same wave & effect generators as PICO-8 for chiptuners and other musicians alike. (who want to make songs longer than PICO-8 can support)

So I'm not really that experienced in making any sort of VST synthesizer. I decided to mock it up and here is the result. (Also, I didn't know where to put this so I just put it in Discussion, move it if you need to admins)

So here's how it works:
Choose a wave (the DAW will handle the rest, as this will probably not support standalone, but maybe...) and the automation for effects will automate on certain notes just like PICO-8 does. It should probably have 4-note polyphony. (hence the 4 channels)
This could be sold with PICO-8 (and all existing PICO-8 owners can get it, maybe?) or sold separately. All depends on what zep decides to do with this if he wants to do anything with this.

P#26992 2016-08-16 13:36 ( Edited 2016-08-21 01:45)

Seems like a cool idea! One possibility would be to have no internal sequencer, just the two parameters (waveform and current effect) which could be automated from within the DAW. It would play very nicely with a tracker like Renoise! Ideally it would also support pitch bend MIDI control, but I guess it should have the same limitations as real PICO-8, not being able to go below a certain frequency?

P#27133 2016-08-20 21:45 ( Edited 2016-08-21 01:45)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-18 18:50:29 | 0.006s | Q:11