Cart #28009 | 2016-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

EDIT: Now with 2% more less broken! Hurrah for not broken!

REMOVED

EDIT: New! Now with 100% less broken!

REMOVED

EDIT: Here's a more complete version. This has a completed level. No changes to the AI since last time.

Cart #27539 | 2016-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

EDIT: Here's the first Alpha - this is not currently completable!

You are SHE, deep cover operative. For 16 months you've been chasing HER, across battlefields, across countries, across the globe. Finally you have her close, cornered almost, holed up in this military base. Find her! Your orders are to kill her, but will you? And what about the kittens she's taken hostage, or the all female yellow hornet battle squadron between you and her?

Your ways are enigmatic, and no one but you can predict your actions.

Press X to shoot
Press Z to interact.
Your dot will turn GREEN when over an interactable object
Hold Z to bring up the menu

Press start on the second player pad to begin a two player game.

OLD:

I'm currently working on my first pico-8 game. It's called SHE!

It's a top down stealth action shooter, with couch coop.

Pretty much all the mechanics are there and I'm hoping to release an alpha sometime this week.

Enemies have states, they can patrol, and there are a variety of different weapons to use. The intention is to allow the player to either sneak through or go in guns blazing. Ratings are given on playthroughs for enemies killed, hostages rescued, and coins collected, with the final outcome (likely a single sentence given space constraints!) given based on your actions.

Here's our intrepid heroine triggering an enemy. You'll notice the other enemies come to investigate what's going on.

Originally I had quite a few other features in there - spreadable fire being the notable one - but I quickly learned that you need to be quite conservative with your code on the pico! I'm currently at 7912 tokens, but I feel I can probably crunch down the AI once it's finished to get a few hundred back. Here's hoping!

P#27086 2016-08-19 17:12 ( Edited 2016-08-19 21:12)

I actually can't think of too much to add except maybe that the SHE logo below obstructs a view when you're trying to line up a shot with the gun for a lower target. Could place hearts in a horizontal line and maybe the SHE logo vertical letters on the side.

You could also have both hidden until the player stops moving for 2-seconds. Once player moves again, then the hearts and SHE logo vanish.

You might be interested in looking at Metal Gear Solid for the Gameboy Color to get some ideas, too. Especially how an enemy can see you without a cone of view.

https://youtu.be/qOIe1bcWAn0?t=1062

Interesting idea to rescue KITTENS. Boy ! What won't bad guys do to stay evil by kidnapping innocent kittens, the dirty whatsits ! :)

P#27548 2016-08-28 12:27 ( Edited 2016-08-28 17:14)

Great feedback, thanks! I might do that with the hearts.

P#27997 2016-09-03 20:41 ( Edited 2016-09-04 00:41)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 17:20:35 | 0.010s | Q:18