With the introduction of the function type()
it is now possible to know the type of the variable.

So I tried to find a way to implement a simple class system and I think I found a way

First we need a function to copy tables

function copy(o)
  local c
  if type(o) == 'table' then
    c = {}
    for k, v in pairs(o) do
      c[k] = copy(v)
    end
  else
    c = o
  end
  return c
end

then we can declare our objects the following way:

vec = {}
vec.x = 0
vec.y = 0
function vec:add(v)
  self.x += v.x
  self.y += v.y
end
function vec:subs(v)
  self.x -= v.x
  self.y -= v.y
end
function vec:mult(c)
  self.x *= c
  self.y *= c
end

to create multiple instances of vector, we just need to copy the object and edit it's attributes

a = copy(vec)
b = copy(vec)
a.x = 1
a.y = 2
b.x = 3
b.y = -1

and when we call the a:add(b) we get a.x == 4, a.y == 1

what's more we can define "subclass"

vec3 = copy(vec)
vec3.z = 0
function vec3:printz()
  print(self.z)
end

the function printz() will run just fine on copies of vec3 but will return an error on copies of vec

P#18145 2016-01-04 11:56 ( Edited 2016-02-07 18:13)

I like how type() can make your recursive copy() concise and reusable for prototypes with table values. It's otherwise not difficult to shallow-copy method references within a constructor. Create an empty object for the prototype class, assign methods with method syntax, then define a constructor (e.g. vec:new()) that copies method references with a simple loop over attributes and assigns initial member values (including fresh copies of table values, as needed).

(I don't know how many existing carts bother to do this. A while back I searched through 900+ carts for uses of "self" and the method syntax, only a small percentage did, and the few that I looked at didn't reuse method code in memory and instead just created a new closure per method per instance.)

If I understand correctly, we won't have real prototypical inheritance until we can access an object's metatable (getmetatable, setmetatable; metamethods like self.__index). Of course, we could write an arbitrarily complex method dispatch system if we forego Lua method syntax (instead using something like a call("method", ...) method). Language support for OO will be more relevant once we have a library reuse mechanism.

P#18151 2016-01-04 17:41 ( Edited 2016-01-04 22:41)

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

P#18700 2016-02-07 13:13 ( Edited 2016-02-07 18:13)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 09:20:48 | 0.007s | Q:13