Direct the growth of vines to avoid lawnmowers. If you run out of seeds, fly the bee to lots of flowers to pollinate them for more. Try to survive as long as possible!
I originally made this game in 48 hours for Ludum Dare 34 with the dual themes of 'Growing' and 'Two Button Controls'. There's a timelapse of that here. This is an updated version of the game with lots of improvements based on feedback from the LD community.
- The spawn point for bees is now indicated by a beehive sprite. Along with the seed sprites, this means you can plan ahead much more.
- If the lawnmower hits a seed or beehive it's position is re-randomized.
- A big particle ring now emanates from the vine/bee spawn position to draw your attention and help you quickly work out where you are.
- There's a warning flash on the side of the screen before a lawnmower appears.
- The bee leaves a trail of pollen behind it once it has visited it's first flower. Players were getting confused about how to acquire seeds; the first flower visited gives you nothing but every subsequent flower gives a seed, because you pollinated it.
- Rebalanced the game in various ways. In general, games should last longer now.
- Added some berries and flowers to the titles to make them prettier.
- Much clearer instructions on the title screen.
- Many, many more title screen puns (from 14 to 27).
Original LD version:
Need for Seed: Undergrowth is such a killer name. Are the titles scrolling past on the bottom rejects or did you come up with them afterwards?
Either way, really fun and interesting game. After a few playthroughs you start figuring out how to plant your flowers strategically which shows it the game has a decent depth to it. Things get really scary when all your flowers are on the left screen and your bee spawns on the right!
@NuSan Thanks for the feedback, good point! A few people have said something similar over on the LD page as well. I think I'll do a post-compo version with particles to highlight where you've spawned and a warning arrow just before the lawnmower comes in.
@qbicfeet Haha, something like that. I was coming up with all sorts of puns about growing, plants etc. Eventually I came up with Need For Seed, then remembered Need For Speed: Underground and just HAD to do the full title. Near the end of day two my friends and I all needed a break from our games so we just sat around coming up with game-specific puns, eventually we had enough that I got rid of all the others. 'Growing Me, Growing You' was hard to delete though :P
I'm glad you like it :)
[Please log in to post a comment]