So I've been hit with what appears to be a permanent IP ban after trying to submit a post here that caused an internal server error. Typical programmer me tried to debug why the post was crashing the BBS by removing lines until it worked (it seems to be related to the "code" tags), but after about 3 internal errors I got locked out permanently. After three days I decided to reset my IP, and voila. Access returned.

What happens:

• You are unable to access lexaloffle.com or any subdomain. Chrome was throwing ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT after a long delay.
  • ping and tracert to lexaloffle.com still work.
  • The only way to fix is to reset your IP address. It's a permanent IP block (why?).

I lost a lot of time on this so I'll just offer some advice: don't try to repost if you get an internal server error. Whatever you wanted to say isn't worth being permanently locked out of the system. I can email the post that caused the error, but this really needs to get fixed asap. I think some kind of automatic spam filter is abusing its power here.

P#14435 2015-09-20 15:53 ( Edited 2015-09-21 21:05)

I've had a few reports about this bug, and got completely stuck on it. So thanks for the looking in to it -- it's very interesting that changing ip fixes it. The error doesn't show up in logs, and it seems there's something happening upstream.

Do you still have the failing ip address, or a partial match? If so, please mail it to me (hey at lexaloffle dot com) in case I can search for it on a blacklist somewhere with my host.

In the other cases, it was possible to avoid the bug by removing some small part of the post, usually containing non-alphanumberic characters. So it seems it's triggering a filter somewhere, that I didn't install and my host doesn't seem to know about :/

P#14469 2015-09-21 17:05 ( Edited 2015-09-21 21:05)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 09:07:08 | 0.019s | Q:12