I'm trying to make a classic synth pluck sound: a couple of detuned saw oscillators, plus a resonant lowpass filter that quickly opens up when a note starts, then closes back down. Unfortunately, I can't quite figure it out. I have an ADSR envelope modulating the filter cutoff, but since the envelope has a positive polarity and higher lowpass knob values = lower frequencies, the effect is exactly the opposite of what I want: the filter immediately closes down on note onset, then more slowly opens back up.

Is there any way to flip the sign of this modulation? Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

P#142951 2024-03-14 20:25 ( Edited 2024-03-15 06:51)

Right-click drag seems to be the answer!

P#142957 2024-03-14 20:33

Two (wrong/outdated) notes:

1. Modulation amount and knob position are coupled in a way that makes it difficult/impossible to have a low cutoff with a high amount of envelope modulation - the knob "runs out of room" for the modulator amount. I think this is because modulator amount and base position run in opposite directions on the knob? Or I might be misunderstanding something else about how the envelopes work. Not sure how to articulate it yet, but I think I get it now. I think the indicators on these knobs may work differently than they do on a lot of plugins, which gave me the wrong idea.

2. Pointer lock for these knob drags would be a huge quality-of-life win. I ended up doing this in RP-8 and it's pretty game-changing, so I'd recommend giving it a shot! Huh, somehow this seems to work fine now? Not sure why I was having trouble with this before....
P#142958 2024-03-14 20:36 ( Edited 2024-03-15 06:51)

[Please log in to post a comment]