Hey @zep since you're testing version 0.2.6 on BBS I assume you could be interested in these weird bugs/glitches that are breaking a grand total of 4 out of my 6 game carts.

I immediately downloaded version 0.2.6 of the desktop app to bugfix them but they run perfectly fine on app!?!?
Links to carts having issues (unplayable):

Dinky Kong (featured)
Jungle Ping (featured)
Head-8n
Legend of Kuna

I think you can tell the intended vs broken behaviour as well comparing how they run on App vs on BBS.
As you can see the main issue (especially for the first 3) is that starting the actual game (⭕️ button) the _update seems to behave correctly, you can hear game sounds, while _draw shows the main screen (although they basically rely on the same conditions). The first two also show blank during title screen and it appears during the game. Jungle ping after losing a few lives starts showing something of the actual gameplay.
The 4th, Legend of kuna seems to have other issues (while game states update/draw seem aligned there) and also super slow, cpu over 2.5, no background of the isometric map is rendered (initial graphical title hides along with the simple text at the bottom, super weird stuff).
The glitches were so bizarre that I imagined having a hard time bugfixing them... but the App runs them fine so...
I have no idea why this version on bbs seems to run them in such broken state especially looking at the changelog for 0.2.6.
Let me know if you need more info, I'm also available in Discord same username.
Thanks a lot!

P#141817 2024-02-23 16:43

Thanks for the report @Heracleum -- this was a bug in the parser triggered by nested short form statements (which it seems your carts use a lot of!). I played those 4 for a few minutes each under 0.2.6b_dev3 and they look ok now. The faulty web player was supposed to have a version number "0.2.6b_dev2", not "0.2.6" which is why the 0.2.6 binaries showed different behaviour.

Technical note: 0.2.6b_dev2 was tripping up on nested shortform statements that were previously (partly) handled by the preprocessor which has now been completely removed for 0.2.6b. The reason for the extreme slowdown was that statements like if (foo) ?"hey" were not being closed in the parser, sometimes breaking block scope and causing e.g. large sections of code to execute unexpectedly. Related: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=140066

P#141847 2024-02-24 04:12 ( Edited 2024-02-24 04:28)

p.s. I just tried playing the 0.2.6b_dev2 version of Legend of Kuna and, yikes! My apologies for reducing most of your carts to a glitchy mess all on the same day o_O

P#141850 2024-02-24 04:26

Lol no problem the great news is I don't have to update them!
Yeah I guess it's the minifier adding the many nested short form statements.
Thank you so much! 👍

P#141871 2024-02-24 13:51 ( Edited 2024-02-25 14:59)

[Please log in to post a comment]