Cart #jumpguy-3 | 2023-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I work at the moment on a jump'n'run-Game. One of my goals are to have a better camera-control than simple center the player in the middle, the camera should "look ahead".

Don't expect any game here, it is more a "prove of concept"-demo.

Control:
X for jump
o for grabing things

down+jump - fall down on "half-tiles"
stand+up - look up
stand+down - look down.

there is a coyote-time, that you can jump for a short time, when you run over a "cliff".
up - run on "half-tiles-slopes" (the green on the right side, behind the "secret"-Wall

P#135826 2023-10-13 07:05 ( Edited 2023-10-29 13:22)

First of all-the animations are great! I especially love the climbing one.

The camera seems smart! For me the damping could be tweaked to be a little stiffer-but that`s my taste. When climbing the bottom right vine I felt like the camera was off center, on the other vines it was centered on the player.
The vertical movement of the camera could be a little faster for my taste, i felt like I was too fast for the camera.

I`m excited to play the full game :) Have fun developing!

P#135827 2023-10-13 07:34

@taxicomics
Thanks. The Sprite is based on the Rick-Dangerous-Series. The camera should on the vine "off-center", when you climb up, it should show you, what is ahead. When you climb down, it should focus on below. And when you stand still, the camera center the player. The small vine at the beginning has the same mechanics, but it is to short, so the vertical movement doesn't appear.
With the vertical-movment, do you mean, when you fell of the long vine? The "problem" is here the landing at the bottom, there is a "scroll"-barrier and the camera by default try to smooth "land" on this. Thats something that I have to keep in mind when design a Level, that on "big jumps" (should be avoided anyway) there should be landing-plattforms above scroll-barriers.
Also the vertical camera only scrolls, when you stand on ground. The camera should not move with every jump the player takes, only when it is needed. I try to minimize camera-movement here.

P#135877 2023-10-14 07:26

I updated the project.

• Slow down the player (otherwise it would jump over too big gabs)
  • add enemy-system with own mini ai-script language
  • enemy "bloodbog" - simple runs over the playfield
  • enemy "falling plattform" - you can stand on it, but it will fall down and then respawn
  • enemy "spring" - for higher jumps and can be grabed
  • enemy "stomper" - will fast fall, when you are under it.
  • enemy "moving plattform" - runs on a rail-system
  • enemy "note block" - elastic block that will force jumps
  • Water mechanic
  • scroll lock check allows now one "error" in the line.
  • own sprite-flag-system, since I need more than 8 flags :)

todo

• many thinks
  • better storage-system, since the actual system takes a little bit to may space.
P#135931 2023-10-15 16:02
  • enemy block_cross
  • shrunken/redesign data-size
  • spring-fixed
  • camera fixes
  • redesign main figure
  • many editor changes
  • more player animations
  • destroyable blocks
  • blocks can contain enemies
P#136235 2023-10-22 15:08
  • fix player flicker during movement
  • fix camera on ladders (again)
  • fix jump-animation
  • doors
  • kill unimportant enemies on lag
  • rework camera (twice)
  • paralax background
  • working health-system
  • screen transistions

known problems:
it can happen, that a enemy kills you, when you try to stomp on it.

P#136581 2023-10-29 13:23

[Please log in to post a comment]