Is there any way to convert a data.pod file which I've salvaged from a game I made in 2019 back into the editor?

I saved the cart as a mac binary, and deleted the original copy, with the intent of sharing it with a few friends, but I'd like to re-export it to web. I can't seem to access the code, otherwise I would copy it as well as the sprites. I've inspected it, and I have the data.pod file which seems to contain all the code and sprites, but in a binary form so I can't actually use it.

Any help would be appreciated!

P#132155 2023-07-20 05:02 ( Edited 2023-07-21 07:53)

So, I made a program for decompiling p8 games. Right now it has support for 1 cartridge exports in html form by fetching it form the .js file, which can be adjusted for multiple cartridges pretty easily if needed. In addition, seeing your question made me curious again about .pod files, so I analyzed one again to see if I could figure them out.

Right now, I have a build that is almost successful for single cartridge .pod files. The reason I say "almost" is that there's one particular piece of information that seems to be varying between files, and I haven't figured out if it's stored somewhere or derived from the pico-8 version. I can, through multiple attempts, succeed in the task, but that requires recompiling my tool between attempts.

To be honest, I'm not actually sure if I should be saying too much on how the pod format works, because I feel like it might stand for "pico8 obfuscated data" in which case I shouldn't be spreading how to decompile them.

That said, if you can post a link to the data.pod file, I can probably convert it and post a p8.png version. If you have an html export instead, then it would change to I can't definitely convert it with the .js file.

P#132161 2023-07-20 15:32

<- Deleted ->

This was the first game I made so it's a bit rough around the edges.
Feel free to post the p8.png version here or submit a PR to the repo,

and thank you kindly for any help!

P#132178 2023-07-21 07:57 ( Edited 2023-07-22 04:53)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b8zmoBxWPOuP07pf6WqoqyLu11qme8ni/view?usp=sharing

I'm not sure how to submit a PR, and I also don't want to upload it as a cartridge here since it would attribute the cartridge to me, so I chose gdrive.

P#132188 2023-07-21 10:09

Thank you so much!

The google drive works fine for me.

This may be a dumb question, but how do I run the p8png file?

P#132231 2023-07-22 05:01

Open pico-8, then use the command folder to open the spot where carts are stored. Then you can place the p8png file there and tell pico-8 to load it.

P#132235 2023-07-22 05:20

[Please log in to post a comment]