Cart #12878 | 2015-08-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Explode each other in ballistic tank-on-tank combat!

Controls:

• arrows to aim turret, move tank, and select weapons
  • x to change mode between aim/move/select
  • z to fire when in aim mode

About the game:

I've spent the last two days working up something I've wanted to do for a long time: a little homage to the greatest competitive ballistics PC game ever made, Scorched Earth.

And so: Scorched 8!

Right now the basic game stuff is there: random terrain, gravity, wind, a variety of munitions, murdering your friends, bleep bloop sound effects, etc.

There's a lot more that could go in -- terrain style selection, tank shields, gravity for dirt, weapon buying at round/game start, war/death cries, etc -- but I'm pretty happy with this as a skeleton. There's enough there blow each other up with already, at least.

P#12879 2015-08-22 08:22 ( Edited 2015-08-23 14:01)

well done, well done. i haven't played this in eons and this captured the magic completely. of course i'd like to buy some napalm, or a death's head, but this scratched the itch. thanks!

P#12886 2015-08-22 13:45 ( Edited 2015-08-22 17:45)

nice!! i think the wind is a bit crazy though. very hard to fight against it

P#12909 2015-08-22 23:48 ( Edited 2015-08-23 03:48)

Yeah, there's basically zero balance work so far -- the wind at Breezy seems a little light, and on Strong and Gale is super hardcore. And the allocation of special weapons is pretty much pulled out of a hat.

That's one thing that I'd like to think about a little more -- how to make weapons selection stuff a little less fiddly. Limited buttons definitely creates an issue that Scorch with it's PC-centric whole-keyboard approach didn't have.

One thing I'm considering there is merging the Drive and Weapon Select modes so it's just a matter of toggling between Aim with power/thrust on u/d and l/r arrows, and Select/Drive with driving on l/r and weapon select on u/d. Makes for less cycling through boop boop boop every time you need to tweak something.

I should also keep showing the selected weapon even when not in weapon-selection mode -- maybe up in the UI as an icon, maybe hovering over the tank.

A deaths' head would be easy to add (sub-shells are just part of a shell's definition that for most of the weapons is set to 0 with the current complement), but stuff like napalm or rollers or drillers will require a bit of extra logic. I'll definitely give 'em a shot when I get the chance. Also want to add the whole shopping screen, though I think I'd better keep it a little minimal compared to the actual Scorched Earth complement and process, which was pretty dang silly and fiddly.

P#12913 2015-08-23 10:01 ( Edited 2015-08-23 14:01)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 21:14:13 | 0.012s | Q:18