Cart #runnergame1-0 | 2023-01-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Older Versions:

Cart #runnergame-0 | 2023-01-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello! Thank you if you try this game out. :)

This is my first game. I created it while trying to learn Pico-8.
As I learn more things, I will update this to see how much I've improved.
If you have any suggestions or tips, feel free to write them; It will help me a lot. :)

P#124924 2023-01-27 20:30 ( Edited 2023-01-28 12:21)

Hi @Progrstick:

You're gonna have to get out of the notion of only one moving opponent at a time to make the game especially challenging. The cactus and the bats.

https://trex-runner.com/

If you look at the original here you can see in time that there can be a multitude of enemies causing you to rethink your strategy on when to jump and when to duck.

Also with the bats, you want to have the ability for the player to DUCK, that is to appear half their height so a bat or whatever other opponent can appear above them and only collide if the player is not ducking.

It can get especially tricky for the programmer as you want to not put obstacles too close to each other, especially if one obstacle is going a different speed from another.

Calculate ahead of time is it possible for the player to get past it either by ducking or jumping.

If neither strategy will work, then these times are unfair and you'll need to rethink when to release the obstacles to continue the game from there.

P#124964 2023-01-29 00:08

Hey @dw817, Thank you for your advice. It's really helpful, and I appreciate it. :)

P#124998 2023-01-30 00:00

Glad to help out, @Progrstick. :)

If you don't plan to code true objects where you can shoot any number of them at the player, you could use 2-variables. Cactusx and Batx. Set it so you must duck under the bat but jump over the cactus, and they could run different speeds although you may want to calculate to ensure both the bat and cactus are not horizontally aligned when the player most cross them.

In this two moving objects at a time with only 2-variables might be challenging enough for the player and easier to code than building an array of objects.

P#125003 2023-01-30 01:00

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 13:03:49 | 0.044s | Q:24