Cart #thegoldenfish-0 | 2022-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[32x32]

What is this?
This is a pico-8 platformer game made in 7 days. Small little casual platformer, nothing else.

Controls
The controls for this game are the same as default pico-8 ones, which are:

Controls        Actions
Left Arrow      Left
Right Arrow     Right
X / V           Jump
C / Z           Retry Level

Credits
The game was made by me, using Pico-8. I am new to Pico-8, so I wanted to make a short little platformer game to learn Pico-8. The music in this game was made by Gruber Music, and I watched Nerdy Teachers' and Lazy Dev Academy's tutorials to make this game.

P#122152 2022-12-10 11:36 ( Edited 2022-12-10 11:42)

I like the atmosphere of this. I was admiring the falling leaves animation in the early levels, and was impressed how when the wind started the particles went from a pleasant background animation to an important gameplay signal. However, I wasn't able to finish it. Here is the farthest I got to:

With the wind blowing as it is, I can't seem to jump high enough to reach the top of the pillar 2 blocks to the right. But this particular pillar also seems to block movement, so I can't jump through it to the pillar 4 blocks to the right.

Some other rough bits:

Falling to the bottom of the pit on the right without touching the sides felt like an unfair difficulty spike, considering how early in the game it happened.

It wasn't obvious that these colorful circles would bounce me. Maybe first encounter one where it isn't surrounded by spikes so you can see what effect it has? Similar for the ones that push you sideways.

I thought this was an impossibly long jump until I tried it anyway and realised there was a pillar to land on.

I single out these bits because it's a mostly fun game to move around in. Good luck with your further development.

P#122255 2022-12-11 22:33 ( Edited 2022-12-11 22:34)

Game has a cool aesthetic and plays nicely on the surface. Lack of visual clarity and buggy platforms is annoying though. Would be cool to see a more polished version.

P#122577 2022-12-17 01:22

Thanks, @Cowirrie for playing my game! I was kind of in a rush of finishing the project, so a couple of things were sloppy here and there.

I breezed that part through myself, and didn't think much about it, because first of all, I wanted this game done & dusted, and second of all, I breezed t through myself and I really didn't think about the others. I should tweak my game, and make it more fair at the start.

For the second part, it was completely my problem. I was trying to quickly put this game on together, and there was a bug with these floaty things that they flung you very high when you touched their sides, and instead of solving this issue, I decided to just "move on" like majority of game developers. It was also my problem that these floaty things didn't look like the bouncy shrooms. I will probably fix these issue as well.

Again, thanks for playing my lil' game! I wish to fix this game for a better user experience and casual

P#122605 2022-12-17 15:01

Thanks for playing my game, @spikmin, I am planning to update my smol game.

P#122606 2022-12-17 15:01

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 04:39:45 | 0.049s | Q:24