Cart #ssbulletbarrage-4 | 2024-02-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is Simple Shooter

Bullet barrage!

In this short basic shmup (Shoot 'em ups) you will face numerous waves of alien invaders trying to destroy our galaxy. Make them feel the taste of your space bullets and cover them with a barrage of bullets

Game Play

You must shoot down all the aliens. Also, try to collect bonus coins to get special shoots, extra lives, and shields throughout your journey of liberating the galaxy. These power-ups will be very helpful in your task of repealing alien attacks.

Controls

• Cursor movement: arrow keys

• Fire: Z
  • Use special shoots: X

Controllers are also supported.

Development

I made this game based in part on the Basic Shmup Tutorial using Pico-8 for the Basic Shmup Showcase Game Jam

The game has 8 procedurally generated levels filled with six types of enemies with different movements and attacks, and the final boss fight.

Update v1.1

Based on the feedback received during the jam period, some modifications were made:

• Overheating mechanic was deleted

• Pickups are saved during wave transitions

• Shields now have an indicator like the special shoots

• The artwork of the first enemy was modified to make clear that it is an enemy and not a pickup

• Behavior of the green orbiting enemy and the boss was modified to prevent warping during the attack phase

• Music was added.

Update v1.2

• New shield graphics
  • Shield killing bonus. In the previous version was possible to kill an enemy using the shield by pushing the enemy off-screen in the x direction, but the player did not receive feedback in this action. Now bonus points are given when such a kill is performed.
  • Little tweaking in the warp animation between stages.
  • Now is possible for the player to move the ship in the title screen.

Update v1.3

• Now autofire can be enabled using the main menu

Special thanks to:

Krystman for the Basic Shmup Tutorial I used a number of concepts and functions from this tutorial and learned a lot. Thanks for showing us the way of the shmup juiciness!

Gruber for Pico-8 Tunes Vol. 2. I use the songs "Into the Belt", "Flight of Icarus", and "Dimensional Gate" for this project.

My dear friend Fabio Coltro for helping me with the drawing and animation of the boss. I think that working together we got a great boss for this game.

I'd like to thank also TheGacko, Aktane, and the other guys at LazyDevs Discord for playtesting and for the feedback.

Have fun!

P#117155 2022-09-10 19:15 ( Edited 2024-02-27 17:41)

I've met the boss and died on my last health thanks to the boss teleporting instantly.
Oh well, nice short shmup nonetheless.

P#117201 2022-09-11 12:51

Hey @Bloodbane, thanks for playing and sharing your experience!

P#117203 2022-09-11 13:36

Great polished little shmup :)
Fun enemy behavior,you start to feel skilled after a while

P#117204 2022-09-11 14:09

Hi @taxicomics! Thanks for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed the game!

P#117205 2022-09-11 14:11

Fun shmup, thank you for sharing! Some nice original enemies. Possibly a tad on the easy side until the last boss.. I collected a lot of "1UP" bonuses but still got Game Over after one death? Thank you though, this was fun!

P#142069 2024-02-27 19:49

Hi @kozm0naut! Thanks for playing my game. You have 4 lives in this game (hearts in the top left corner). If you got one 1up you got one live restore. If you lose all four lives then is game over ;)
I am glad you enjoyed playing :)

P#142071 2024-02-27 20:17

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 05:24:58 | 0.071s | Q:28