Cart #dynasfx-0 | 2022-06-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Description

The demo shows how your PICO-8 games could add dynamicity to sound effects depending on what happens and the action involving your sprites, depending on their position, speed etc... not just use a few prefab sfx or playing several different sounds to give the impression they react to the action (e.g. a vehicle acceleration, spaceship thrust).

Presets

There are 8 examples (presets, select them with 🅾️ and ❎) of sounds and each shows a simple preview of some game action. To interact with preset previews you basically change the Pitch with ⬆️ and ⬇️ keys.

The Note

At the top you see the two bytes representing the note, their address in memory (it's sfx 1), the values in binary (help you understand how 'components' such as Pitch, WaveForm, Volume, Effect are stored in the bytes) and their corresponding decimal values.
You can use ⬅️➡️ to select a different component and edit its value.

At the moment it's 'just a demo' (although it took me more than 2 weeks, longer than a single game dev) and it still doesn't offer some basic functions to copy into your game to implement dynamic sounds. I'll update it as soon as I test more myself on an actual game.

P#113089 2022-06-13 02:24

Here now, @Heracleum. Try out my flying saucer sound found HERE:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=71787#p

P#113093 2022-06-13 03:59

@dw817 nice, yes same (and only I guess) technique but notice how that byte contains both Pitch and the first 2 bits of the WaveForm; that way (setting raw and straight an Y or other variable) you could take out or modify the waveform you've originally set in the sfx editor, so better do some Bitwise operation in order to change only the first 6 bits for pitch.
In your case no problem, the UFO sounded cool regardless.

P#113126 2022-06-13 18:10

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 21:39:46 | 0.035s | Q:21