Dig Deep

https://scottnm.itch.io/dig-deep

The Story

You've just discovered a precious family heirloom has been buried deep underground at an ancestral site. In 24 hours, a construction crew is coming to pave the site and turn it into a parking lot. Hurry! Recover your legacy or it'll be lost forever.

Controls

Left/Right/Up/Down - Move
                 O - Dig
                 X - Use Item

Cart #digdeep-0 | 2022-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Credits

Scott Munro Design, Programming [Github] :: [Site] :: [itch.io]
Tim S Davis Design, Narrative [Twitter] :: [itch.io]
Tania Pavlisak 2D Art [Artstation] :: [Twitter] :: [Instagram] :: [itch.io]
ViRiX Dreamcore Audio [Twitter] :: [Youtube] :: [Portfolio] :: [itch.io]
lovemademusic Audio

Special Thanks

RobbyDuguay for the background music

P#111127 2022-05-01 15:42 ( Edited 2022-05-01 16:02)

A great fun game well executed! Good graphics and sound too. At first the time limit was too tight but once you persevere the time is spot on.

At first I thought it would be better to have a page count but once I realised that when you have them all it fills the bottom of the screen the problem goes away.

P#111182 2022-05-02 10:58

Cool concept! My only feedback: I wish there was some kind of warning when you are about to hit lava. To just die instantly doesn’t really involve any skill or choice from the player, and feels like you are just being punished purely on chance. If you had like one dig uncovers a little bit of red or something, you could afford to shorten the clock because players would not need to go through all the levels again to get to where they were each time, and the skill involved would be to not make a mistake and dig into lava because you can’t afford the time it takes to start over.

P#111193 2022-05-02 14:01

I second that - ofc it can feel to easy if you have smth that helps you find lava, but as in minesweeper, hitting it on your first dig just doesnt feel great and I did that in every level XD

I suggest a tool like the pagefinding one, but maybe show up lava only on a random interval - so if you dont wait or feel sure too early you dig into it and it feels more like the players fault, not the games

P#111526 2022-05-08 21:29

Thanks for the feedback sleepsthebear and ancientpixel

I’ve seen some people develop strategies where they use the item sensor to help avoid lava pits but I agree it doesn’t feel great (especially in later floors) to hit unavoidable lava patches.

P#111531 2022-05-08 21:45

This is really cool! I like the concept and how it looks and the story is fun. I think I second the other feedback.

One thing is I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to find something else on each level, or just keep looking for the staircases...? I got to the book and came back up and "won" but the story suggests there is more to find. I think maybe this is like Phil's suggestion of a page count or something like that. I think it would help.

I am also not entirely sure what the meter at the side of the screen is highlighting. I thought it was a lava detector but found out that wasn't true exactly.

This is fun and I've kept playing it again to try and find things but it does end up feeling a little too much trial-and-error after a while. But I keep playing so maybe that's okay! lol

P#111537 2022-05-09 04:02

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 14:53:40 | 0.023s | Q:23