I'm releasing my first Pico-8 game, Picotage!

Cart #yerituwuda-0 | 2021-11-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Picotage! is heavily inspired by the Apple II game "Sabotage" which I played on a school computer in the early 1980s.

This is a very simple action game where the goal is simply to survive as long as you can. Shoot the helis before they drop soldiers, or shoot the soldier's chutes after they drop, or shoot the soldiers. But don't let the soldiers land and shoot at your base!

Use the arrow keys to change the angle of your gun. Left, Right, Up, and Down can be used.

Fire with the "Z" key. You can hold it down or fire in bursts.

You earn a Powerup every 5 levels. Use the "X" key to activate them. Powerups heal your base and give you much greater firepower for a short period.

About the soliders:

-Green soldiers are easy to kill.

-Red soldiers have shields and are hard to kill. If you let them land they will protect the troops behind them with their shields. Red soldiers don't fire as fast as green soldiers.

-Gray soldiers are just like green soldiers except they land very close to your base, making it very hard to shoot them.

Some minor nuances if you are trying to maximize your score:

-if you point straight up, most easily done by holding the "up" arrow, the bullets will eventually come down and hit your base, causing them to bounce and scatter. This can kill soldiers that land near your base, even when they are otherwise impossible to hit. This can save you a powerup once in awhile.

-if you tap the down arrow the cannon will nudge down a bit, which is useful for making small adjustments to hit soldiers on the ground.

-if you hold down the down arrow key the gun will move down unless it is pointing straight up, in which case the down arrow key won't do anything. The angle of the gun will change a bit faster if you hold down arrow as well as the left or right arrow keys. This can help you out in later levels.

Anything past level 30 is very good! Have fun!

P#100601 2021-11-22 00:55

Nice ! I like this version unlike the Apple ][ where you would lose 10-points for every shot that missed. Here you can just fire and forget. Gold star for ease of firing, @jtbourke.

It's up to you but you could add a sadistic scoring. That is you get big points, more than shooting anything else, for a soldier hitting the ground minus a parachute.

P#100603 2021-11-22 01:10

Thanks for your suggestion. I am collecting a bunch of ideas for another version of the game and I've added yours to the list!

P#101033 2021-11-29 22:04

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 10:44:33 | 0.027s | Q:20