Why is there so few Youtube Pico-8 tutorials ?

BUT WHY ?!

I don't understand that, why they just don't upload Pico-8 tutorials so often ?
I searched a Sokoban tutorial for Pico-8 and I found absolutebly nothing !
I tried following Lazy Devs's tutorials, uhh... how is that working ?

What makes you don't post many tutorial like for Unity ?

Please make it stop...

P#91181 2021-04-27 12:11

I think a reason is that there are different kinds of people doing pico8 dev! Some are older and find again the days of 8-bit home computers with creativity born from constraints. Some are programmers who want to make games and find pico8 the right environment for that (that’s me!). Some are young people in school who learn or practice programming and game dev with pico8 and other engines. People show techniques and ask for help with posts on the BBS, discussions on discord, articles in zines and books and magazines, and also youtube (there’s gruber, lazydevs, nerdy teachers, doc_robs and others).

Another point: I think it takes a lot of effort to make videos, and it’s for a younger audience (for example, I don’t usually learn with videos, and I’m not often watching things on youtube).

And finally, pico8 is specifically made for hobbyists (not professionals), and has a small user base on purpose, so that’s another reason for the smaller number of videos and lessons compared to unity or other engines.

P#91193 2021-04-27 15:11

Pico-8's community is very small and consists virtually exclusively of hobbyists. It is normal that there aren't as many resources as a big, professional engine like Unity would have.

P#100550 2021-11-21 16:25

I read the comments and I think I understand what makes Pico-8 tutorials so rare. Thank you for the reasons.

P#100567 2021-11-21 18:30

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 04:57:23 | 0.007s | Q:15