Follow
Zellkoss_
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #palette-3 | 2024-03-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello Everyone,

I’m a beginner programmer, and I just submitted my first game, Palette!🎨

Palette is a simple puzzle game🧩.
You’ll land in the middle of a colorful, filled canvas.
Each time you move, the tiles you land on will dynamically change color according to a pre-defined sequence that is visible to you.

Controls

Controls are simple, juste move your character with ⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ !

Game mode

Quick Play

In Quick Play mode, you’ll land on a randomly filled canvas. Your objective is to create rows and/or columns of the same color as long as possible. *The longer the line, the higher your score will be.

Challenge

In the Challenge mode, you’ll solve 7 pre-defined puzzles. Make color sequences according to the requirements of each level, displayed on the right side of your screen. Aim for perfection to earn a star!

Import (Draft)

Import a custom level! More information below.

Import

To create custom levels, I made myself a quick level editor in Google Sheets. It’s a bit rough, but if anyone wants to try making a custom level, here’s how:

• Open the sheet: Google Sheets Link
  • Use either unlocked_1 or unlocked_2
  • Draw the canvas, color sequence and the score needed to pass the level.
  • Copy export code (right-click --> copy).
  • In Pico-8, start the game, go to import and paste (CTRL-V). Then press X or O to start a custom level

Versions

Thanks everyone for your nice advice and comments that allowed me to improve my game.

• 0.1: UI modification. Score for every colors is displayed. Smaller grid. 3. You can now freely move (without painting the block), if the block you are standing on is same as the first one in the queue.
  • 0.2: Added 7 pre-defined levels (Challenge). Added possibility to import custom levels. And few ui / sprite modifications.

End Thought

Okay, so this is my first “game” and my initial attempt with Pico-8. Let’s be honest. It’s not so great 🙃.

The game feels too random, and your score is closely tied to the randomly generated canvas at the beginning. However, I still wanted to share it to mark its completion. If anyone wants to take a look and provide feedback or improvement ideas, that would be fantastic!

On top of that, I enjoyed working with Pico-8. It’s a fantastic tool for beginners. Having everything integrated within the software is incredibly useful. Plus, the ability to play the game on various devices is amazing!

Sorry, there is no music and so-so sound effects (SFX) in the game. I was unable to create anything due to my nil art skills.

P#142467 2024-03-05 17:59 ( Edited 2024-03-16 20:54)