Cart #rotak-0 | 2023-10-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all, and welcome to my first ever Pico-8 game posted on Lexaloffle!

About

Roids of the Aster Kind is a clone of my fave retro shooter, Asteroids. It includes all the classic features such as splitting asteroids, UFOs and the dreaded hyperspace key which usually materialises you directly in the path of an asteroid!

Controls

• Left/Right : Rotate ship
  • Up : Thrust
  • Button 1 : Fire
  • Button 2 : Hyperspace

Dev Notes

I've actually owned Pico-8 for a while now, and had written a couple of games before which I never got round to publishing anywhere. But then my old laptop died and I sadly lost those games, so this time I was determined to upload my game for posterity.

I'm most proud of the ship's handling, which I think is very nice, and the hand-drawn rotation animation came out quite well. A youth spent drawing 8x8 sprites for the ZX Spectrum helped there. I'm also pleased with most of the sound effects I made. I found Lua a lot of fun to code in and love the way Pico-8 provides everything you need to write a cool retro game in one tiny package.

There are a couple of things I might tweak for a post-release update, but otherwise I'm calling this one done. Looking forward to sharing more of my creations here in the future!

Enjoy!

P#136594 2023-10-29 21:29

Love It!

P#139157 2023-12-25 12:40

[Please log in to post a comment]