Cart #piconapoleon-1 | 2022-09-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An early proof of concept for an Total War-like RTS in Pico8.

Controls (Global map):
Left and right arrow - choose territory.
Up and down arrow - choose type of troop to buy.
X - buy troop.
Z - attack territory.

Controls (Battlefield)
Arrow keys - move troop.
Z - choose next troop.

Different types of terrain provide different bonuses:

• Units in Forests can't be shot at.
  • Units in Mountains shoot farther.
  • Units in Swamps are slowed down.
  • Units on Roads move faster.
P#116830 2022-09-03 16:12 ( Edited 2022-09-04 17:35)

Neat idea! The biggest hurdle I see in this version is the visual clutter. Once the battle starts, especially as more units join, I can't see anything that's happening. Sound effects would help communicate some information about unit actions, but there's IMO there's not enough difference between the 'signal' i.e. the troop type and terrain type and the 'noise' e.g. the visual details of the terrain. Maybe you could use the alt palette to lower the contrast on the terrain tiles so the units pop more? For example, multiple shades of green instead of green and orange and brown.

Great work so far! The curtain was a great effect.

P#116861 2022-09-04 00:37

Thanks, @ericstone111! Just pushed a new version, where I reduced terrain noise (mostly by simplifying sprites and reducing number of decorations), also added range circles to ranged units.

I also thought about coloring unit corpses in neutral colors, but I kinda enjoy the ability to see where enemies died, it's satisfying to look at. However, if the view is still too cluttered, I'll consider doing something with the bodies.

P#116887 2022-09-04 17:40 ( Edited 2022-09-04 17:40)

[Please log in to post a comment]