Cart #komehara_reordered-0 | 2022-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a game I made for the Global Game Jam 2018 on theme "Transmission", but I never posted it here. In fact, it's the first cartridge I'm posting on the BBS.

I wanted to improve it before uploading it, esp. add keyboard-only controls, so that users can play it on a micro-console without mouse... But I never got the time, so I prefer posting the current version here, so at least you can try it on PC or mobile device (using touch for mouse + gamepad overlay).

Concept

REORDERED is a puzzle game inspired by the concept of out-of-order delivery in computer networking. The player must reorder the letters of a message sent from an antenna to another to form another word.

To reorder letters, the player must mess up the travel time of some letters by interacting with the environment.

Controls

!! Mouse or touch is required to play !!

• Mouse click on Togglable element (green, small eye icon in the center) to toggle it
  • Mouse click on Restart icon to restart level
  • Keyboard press (X) (keyboard X/V/M) to start emitting letters
  • (Debug) Press Arrow Left/Right to go to previous/next level

Mechanics

To reorder letters, the player must mess up the travel time of some letters by interacting with the environment.

A given word is decomposed in letters that are sent at regular intervals from an emitting antenna. A letter travels in straight line until it reaches an element that affects its trajectory. The player can enable and disable those elements in order to guide the letters into a certain direction.

Letters eventually arrive on a receiving antenna to compound a word again. Some trajectories being longer than others, letters are effectively reordered by the timely toggling of interactive elements, causing a new word to be created.

Special tiles

• Arrow: changes the direction of a traveling letter. Has a togglable variant.
  • Mirror: reflects direction of a traveling letter. Has a togglable variant.
  • Emitter: shaped as an antenna, it sends the original word, letter by letter
  • Receiver: shaped as a circle (parabola seen from above), it receives the final word, letter by letter.

itch.io link: https://komehara.itch.io/reordered
Code repository link: https://github.com/hsandt/ggj2018-Transmission

P#111198 2022-05-02 16:00 ( Edited 2022-09-20 12:47)

wait why is it titled picosonic like the game you posted on itch.io

P#113233 2022-06-16 21:18

@brobgonal Good catch! I reuploaded the cartridge with the correct name, but have been a bad copy-paste (I tried to change the main cartridge name but it didn't update the existing cartridge version name, so uploading the full cartridge again was cleaner)

P#117690 2022-09-20 12:43

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 13:43:21 | 0.040s | Q:15