I title this WIP because this is about as far as I got with this project before I realized it would take a fantastically huge amount of time to properly flesh out. So, I might try to update it but I more so wanted to release this project in case someone is interested in making a Pokemon style game with all of the assets already implemented.
TL;DR A lot of the code is superfluous and hastily typed in favor of rapidly displaying what is essentially needed. It's basically pre alpha code if you wanted to use it for your own project.
I've been working on this idea for about a year total on and off. The original concept (aside from really liking pokemon) came from a challenge meme image. I tinkered away at the art and whatnot and wrapped my head around sspr concretely the first time around while working at this.
• A start page screen demonstrating a custom Pico-8 Game intro sequence.
• An in-start page screen displaying small scale spr() of each mon as well as the entire sprite map.
• Custom simple art positioned in a typical format of a conventional rpg in-start screen.
• An arbitrary simple loading screen with screen paging already arbitrarily added.
• Custom Assets for (presumably) Fakemon concepts and their potential usage.
(e.g. mini sprites & modeled upscales)
• Even more Custom Assets for general game design e.g. tiles and random colorful sprite work
• Somewhat thoughtful naming and ordering, elemental typing, egg hatching of each mon.
• Simple movement for one player implemented. Random iteration of mon sprites for debug, following mon.
• sspr() upscaled examples of each mon with its name and associated early note ideas about its concept.
• Tabbing with (z,x) to view each mon.
• Sprite sheet page 1 displayed on debug screen.
• Mostly nothing!
This is really just a demonstration of what can be done with the engine with just a little bit of tinkering away. You are free to use all of the code and assets as you please. Check another post I had in my Bren's Pico-8 Prototypes to see an example of another Pokemon inspired small creation. It could be useful if you're going for a "generation 3" look and want to add to this engine with event functions. (post cross link here https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=44439)
[this space for if I update this post with future revisions]
version: pre alpha
To keep with the Pokemon theme and all of their cool version names, if you make a work inspired by this post, consider this version to be called Thunder Electrum Version, for the mon on the cart's photo,
Hight: The electric sky dragon!
[Please log in to post a comment]