[sfx]

This is my first music I've ever created in my life, and on PICO-8. I tried to make my stream background music based from Castlevania's Baroque-esque nature, with more impact and sinister into short simple loops. I even made it while I'm streaming, but that's outdated. So I uploaded the latest version here. Hope you enjoy my song!

P#96725 2021-08-31 16:14

Hi! Not an expert, but since it is your first piece, I feel like I need to chime in! I find the wailing lead kind of repetitive, but good job adding swing and staccato to it. I liked the classic little organ-esque roll at pattern 07 (I could hear more of that thrown in), and the chorus breaking out after it is pretty sick, and leaves asking for more. Kind of a shame it cuts short and loops a bit abruptly.
Pretty impressive for first music overall! Cheers, and keep on making!

P#97150 2021-09-10 10:38

Thank you for the comment!

The First loop (Wailing loop, Pattern 1-7) kind of stuck in my head for months, so I gave it a try and even extended it. What I wanted to change the most is the Pattern 4 (by adding chords, on bass and unused channels) and 5 (by changing its notes) , because I think it should deviate from Pattern 1-2 (which you said it was repetitive).

Onwards to the second loop (Pattern 8-11), I'm not extending it, but making 2-3 new loops to accompany the First loop and smoothing out rough edges instead, and changing the entire basslines to accompany with the song instead of being another melodic line of it, would sounded great too.

PS. I made this from my worldbuilding concepts (which of course is also my other character's setting besides one in the profile picture) : a vengeful demoness who was abused in every way possible, and now rose up with crippling amount of hatred and depression. The First loop is her wailing/battle crying!

P#97341 2021-09-15 09:46 ( Edited 2021-09-18 08:11)

Ha-hah, nice thinking! You seem to have a pretty good understanding of the basics, guess I'd work in the same direction. Good to hear you're trying to express specific characters and emotions in music too! Good luck on your composition and worldbuliding, and see you on the BBS!

P#97618 2021-09-21 19:23

And now I've done many improvements to my song after procrastinating for months (with the entire work lost during the stream. I did manage to recover it though.) Changed the entire basslines, added the second loop, a pretty barebone intro ,and the second loop to intro transition.

Now that's a BIG jump!

[sfx]

Still, I'm not quite satisfy with the square wave being the "guitar licking", so I think I should create it via custom instruments, drawing heavily from "Divine Bloodlines", one of the most memorable song in the Castlevania series. Wish me luck!

Edit: Also, I think the first and second loop should be merged into a single big loop. Main loops getting in the way feels too long, to be honest.

P#100797 2021-11-25 14:44 ( Edited 2021-11-25 14:52)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 14:08:51 | 0.006s | Q:11