Fast round: update 3!

Unexpected free time led to a chain of updates... next one will be a release version!

Added some mechanics like stones (stomping platforms to obtain them, and obv throwing), enemy with drops activating hidden platforms, a start menu with level ending... it almost resembles a game now.

Cart #picobigadventure-4 | 2021-07-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Running low (I think, it's my first pico game) on tokens: 5052 without music, only one level and few sfx. There is space for optimizations in update functions and level encoding (using some randomness for tiles variants: the actual level takes about 793 tokens). I'd like to have at least five or six levels, so... crossing fingers!

OLDER VERSIONS

First game on pico!

As a first ride with pico8 I'm going with a bootleg-bootleg / demake /port of Terry Big Adventure, a game my brother used to play on the C64. It's still in embryo state, movements are there but need tweaking (less than expected, but there are bugs), the yoyo goes back and forth, the graphics are coming togheter, simple pickups work, music and sounds (there were no sounds on the C64, only music) are probably the last thing I'll touch due to a first traumatic attempt.
[0x0]

[0x0]

The original game had a lot of keys and other pickups with some consequences I'm still trying to undestand from longplays on youtube, I'll try to insert as many as possible here.

Cart #picobigadventure-0 | 2021-06-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Not revolutionary, but a nice training in all things pico8, and a possible use as a game jam entry on itch.io, if I can work on it enough in the following days. That'll probably mean some distance from the source material will be intentional, as the jam calls for bootleg / derivative and not ports or clones.

Update!

A first substantial step toward something resembling a game: simple enemies able to roam back and forth, pickups and a system to store levels.

The level you see is loaded at the start and doesn't come from the editor (even IF it's the same for now), it's saved in the code instead, with some compression. Ideally you can draw your level, run the game one time and the structure is saved to the clipboard so you can save it in the code, in a data structure still subject to refactoring. Different enemies are saved with their first sprite and suppose two consecutive sprites for animation.

Cart #picobigadventure-1 | 2021-07-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Coming soon:

Start menu and some hud elements, more levels and some mechanics like platforms switching on when specific enemies are killed. On the "editor" side, some trick to add information when "drawing" enemies with different behaviours or starting orientation, like placeholder sprites.

Update 2!

A swift addition: a start menu, with rudimental graphics, with lives and an automatic return to menu when lives are spent, a non-static pickup with different scores at different stages. Lot of bits that were on the verge of being completed, enoy!

Cart #picobigadventure-2 | 2021-07-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#93896 2021-06-23 14:04 ( Edited 2021-07-06 20:07)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 09:32:39 | 0.020s | Q:17