Cart #rpgtest-0 | 2021-06-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a work-in-progress prototype for the battle system of a larger RPG project of mine.

Gamepad, keyboard, and mouse are all supported.

Controls:

• d-pad / arrows / mouse: move selection
  • a / z / left-click: confirm selection
  • b / x / right-click: cancel, hold piece

Attack: Place pieces to form lines, which will harm foes when formed. If it overlaps with existing tiles, they will be removed and your party will be hurt. (Certain foes have more specific requirements for taking damage.)

Skills: Do something that benefits you in a way other than damage output.

• May:
    • Pet: Depends on Ryvi's presence. Restores 50% HP to both parties. Costs 5 energy, out of 10.
  • Ryvi:
    • Roar: Attack, but do not erase or take damage from existing tiles. Costs 12 energy, out of 36.

Items: Not implemented yet. (For now, it just says you don't have any.)

To-do:

• recognize battle completion
  • party members who are Done shouldn't get turns
  • show health and energy as text?
  • maybe some animation/tweening stuff?
  • maybe only the person initiating an attack should be hurt by erased tiles? don't know
P#93687 2021-06-18 07:45

This is fun. I hope it goes well. Rpgs are fun, and this one adds a puzzle like battle mechanic without it being like Candy Crush. Quite unique!

P#93712 2021-06-18 22:40

@Vinnyc11 I know this was quite near a year ago, but I have some bad news and some good news:

The bad news is that I will (probably) not be using this concept in the finished game. This is not the sort of gameplay I know how to work with, and I did not invent it, at any rate.

The good news is that there is still a game you can play that uses the line-clearing mechanics seen here: Palace of Woe (not free, but it is still quite cheap). This mechanic has been named "troublebox" by the developer - all I really added to it was the grid being 8x8 instead of 5x5, and basic party + skill mechanics.

P#110086 2022-04-12 00:54

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 14:08:09 | 0.021s | Q:15