I present to everyone a very snappy Dr Mario clone called Pico Pill. My goal was to code an action puzzle game that I want to play with tight controls, and I think you'll enjoy it too if you give it a try!
If you have prior experience with Dr Mario, you'll feel right at home while noticing some significant differences at the same time. Instead of choosing level and speed, the game is a progression of 30 levels (no speed selection), and the speed on each level progresses from very slow to blazingly fast.
I'm never sure if/when I'll be improving and polishing my games for another release, but feedback and ideas are always welcome! Enjoy!
- Piece clearing animation does a neat swirl before disappearing
- Takes a few more frames now, but looks great
- Game guide illustrates game controls
- Configurable text color
- Oops! The cart PNG still says "Pico Pill 0.2" even if it's running the new code.
The game was too much of a grind at high levels, and controls could be a bit more beginner-friendly.
- Game balance
- 30 levels instead of 40
- simpler top-row-only pill delay
- 8x15 playfield (instead of 8x16) lets player see rotated pill in the top row
- max virus set to level 15 (60 viruses) instead of 21 (84 viruses)
- Up arrow defaults to "rotate clockwise" but can be replaced by "hard drop" functionality from the console menu
While the gameplay itself is solid, this is a "version 0.1" due to the potential polish that could be added to the game. Most remarkable is an experimental idea where at high levels, the pills drop slowly near the top to preserve fairness.
- Initial version of the game!
- 40 levels
- top-3-row pill delay system
- 8x16 playfield
- max virus set to level 21 (84 viruses)
- Speedup by setting the speed from the level every 20 pills
- Game guide
- Menu screen allows level selection and shows pills played and viruses cleared
[Please log in to post a comment]