Cart #obsidian2-5 | 2020-04-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

OBSIDIAN 2

VASCO DE GAMA

Built inside an asteroid, the automated ship Vasco de Gama (Obsidian class) readies itself to slingshot using the gravitation field of a black hole. Destination: the Adromeda Galaxy. Alas, while the scientists were refining the last details of the ship flightpath, a major system failure occurs. The ship is uncontrollable and dangerously drifts towards the black hole …

We need a volunteer to reboot the engines and the guidance system, then exit the vessel using the shuttle in bay #10 before the black hole destroys the ship. Since you are the ideal candidate due to your previous experience, you are beamed into the crew quarters. A quick check confirms that the self-defense systems are activated. Good Luck.

CONTROLS

You control your autonomous space suit using the arrow keys. To interact with lockers and system switches, you must contact against the object and press X.
Your space suit has a limited nitrogen reserve allowing you to fly over obstacles and across access wells. The ship Vasco de Gama has a few nitrogen sources scattered to allow yourself to replenish your tank.
You are also provided with a map of the ship preloaded with a few data (press O to display).

Important note : it is strongly advised to play with a keyboard. The virtual controls through the browser web are not precise enough.

DEV NOTES

This game is a tribute to an old AMSTRAD CPC game I liked. This is my first cartridge developped using pico8. Enjoy.

Platforms:

• Windows: 0.1.12c OK
  • Linux: 0.1.12c OK
  • Raspberry Pi 0 on GPI Case: 0.1.12c NOK randomly stops after a few screens
P#74726 2020-04-14 09:47 ( Edited 2021-06-18 20:41)

graphics are spot on , great job on them - but gameplay , not so good ... its way , way too random ! how do you know what to put and where ? there are no clues so its trial and error and with the limit of 3 lives it quickly becomes boring repeating it ... also having to press x to interact with the boxes wastes precious fuel if you dont get it exactly on the right spot first time .... this could be great with a bit of spit and polish , hope the dev can tweek it

P#74908 2020-04-18 01:21

Thank you for your experience.
I have added a map (press O) to the game showing the main objectives.
It autocompletes with your exploration showing:

• nitrogen sources encountered
  • closed doors
  • interruptors
    It will also display a few description holding a clue to which object goes where.
    I have uploaded the new cart (I hope). Tell me if that improved your play.

<edit>
I also added to the map display:

• locker contents if there are no other interesting objects
P#74945 2020-04-18 21:49 ( Edited 2020-04-19 09:08)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-18 18:07:55 | 0.020s | Q:15