Neil (nknauth here in this forum) had this awesome idea to use my image importer to create custom covers for cartridges.
I myself wondered if one could use a cartridge cover other than a screenshot, but my best idea was “Probably at some point I should ask zep if he can enable using some other images. Maybe. Someday.” :)
But neil's idea is actually working. Needs a small amount of hacking though: simply loading an image, taking a screenshot, loading an another cartridge, and saving that cartridge by hand just produces a gray square on the cart instead of the image.
BUT using this code in the image loader works:
if (btnp(4)) then
if (btnp(5)) then
So the steps are:
- Create an “image cartridge” with the code above, but replacing “road” for the target cartridge name.
- Import the cover picture into this “image cartridge” by using the image importer from my previous post, or simply just drawing directly in Pico-8
- Run the “image cartridge”
- Press “z” to load the target cartridge.
- Press F7 to take a screenshot
- Press “X” to save the target cartridge.
Done! You have your own shiny custom cover Pico-8 cartridge! :)
[Please log in to post a comment]