Cart #cozmicchaos-0 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cozmic Chaos

Overview

This is a small wave based Bullet Hell Shmup i developed in order to learn development in pico 8.
I used the Lazy Devs Shmup tutorial series on Youtube for reference, so huge shout out to them.

In this game you will fight through 9 waves of enemies getting progressively tougher before taking on the final boss.

Controls

Arrow keys - Move your ship around.
O Button - Fires your concentrated shot. This is high damage but slows your movement.
X Button - Fires your spread shot. This has a wide range and fast movement speed.
Cancels - Pressing both fire buttons together will perform a bullet cancel however this will cost one full meter, these are essential for high scores.

Pickups

Capsules - These will score a small amount of points and fill your cancel meter.
Chips - These spawn from canceled bullets and give lots of points.

I intend to move on to create a more advanced and fleshed out Shmup in the future, so keep your eyes peeled.
Have fun and please post feedback and high scores in the comments!

P#146781 2024-04-16 18:46 ( Edited 2024-04-16 18:49)

Nice one, Fincus! I just discovered the Lazy Devs Shmup tutorial too (though haven't started on it properly yet) which lead me here to Pico 8. Great to see something put together via knowledge learnt in that tutorial! I hope to do similar one day soon.

I like the bullet cancel mechanic you've used here. Good concept! I've made it to the final boss but not defeated it yet - I'll keep at it! (Hi-score around 11500 so far).

Good luck with future games!

P#147360 2024-04-26 09:10

[Please log in to post a comment]