Cart #lights_zavale-0 | 2024-01-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

LIGHTS

my first pico game

menu:

puzzle generation

gameplay

Controls

pretty straight forward, use the arrows to choose a node and X or O to rotate it

Rules

in relax mode, just choose the size of the puzzle and get to it, at your own pace, every puzzle is virtually unique so keep playing the same size if you enjoy it

for the competitive people, record mode will let you play all the puzzle sizes from smallest to largest and time you, once you finished all of them you get to save your time in the leaderboard (I managed to finish in around 350 seconds, but I think I can do better)

Behind the Scenes

runs a bfs algorithm way too many times, but it works so...

Credits

we'll get someone for the music and sound fx soon,,
based on a game I had to make for school around 4 years ago (which was based on older games),
enjoy!

P#140519 2024-01-24 03:17

Fun game! Not sure how much the high score comparisons are meaningful without a fixed set of random seeds?

Would be nice to have more idle and solved animations, but the core mechanics seem to work well.

P#140525 2024-01-24 05:14

this is really good :D honestly the random generation is smth that increases the playtime by a lot XD

P#140526 2024-01-24 06:39

That was a quite nice 10mn.(your 350s seems very fast). Concept is fun. Graphics feel vertically stretched witch in turn make the piece rotations unconvincing. Level "in construction" animation is fun to watch, but leads to trying to memorize the shown solution before the start. If that's not intentional, a random rotation of the board as a last step would help.
Dpad navigation around the grid feels like you're always fighting a wind that pushes you to the left. Mouse support would be ideal on PC, but the Pad controls on a hex grid can be better : if your cursor point left or right depending on the last horizontal move, you have a logical up and down hexes, this way, from any hex to any other, you never have more than one extra Dpad press needed than the hex distance between start and finish. grid border movements can also be improved : from top right to full right, you should be able to use just a few right presses for example.

P#140536 2024-01-24 10:24

This is a really nice game, well done!

P#140538 2024-01-24 11:05

@sizescape I thought about it but then you can run out of "games", I also saw (after playing many many times) that my time counter was pretty constant (a variance of not more than 150s) and since it's not online you are only competing with yourself..

P#140547 2024-01-24 16:40 ( Edited 2024-01-24 16:43)

@851523 and @pjft thanks for playing and commenting <3

P#140548 2024-01-24 16:44

@RealShadowCaster WOW! thanks for such a thorough review!
I thought about the trying to memorize it from the animation and couldn't think of a nice solution besides just skipping it (which I wouldn't want), I'll definitely add something like that last spin for the next update!
I really like your comments regarding movement, I had to make some choices while writing the code that I wasn't sure of but need some people's feedback to improve it, so thanks!
And yes! mouse controls are on the list for the future updates : )

Here is the code for the moving around the grid btw

were 1 to 6 are the directions in which the neighbors sit (if they exists)
.1 2
..\ /
6-x-3
../ \
.5 4
and the function move gets a list of directions in which to try to move.
your ideas should be really easy to try out!

thanks again for your testing!

P#140549 2024-01-24 17:04

Implemented the proposed moving scheme thanks to your pointers, feels much better to me.
Also changed the cursor to an always red arrow so you can see witch way your next up move will be. There's no more need for orange as the ellipse's color below the cursor is now visible.
Added a global boolean face_east to keep track of cursor pointer direction, not the cleanest... Feel free to use or re-implement however you wish. (would make sense as an attribute like the grid coordinates)

Cart #fohiteresi-0 | 2024-01-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#140754 2024-01-28 16:23

That's really cool. Actually fun and relaxing to play. Nice work!

P#140808 2024-01-29 12:22

@RealShadowCaster that's amazing, I'm loving this community, not sure about your implementation of the drawing of the face_east, but will try to think of something for the next update : )

P#140837 2024-01-29 19:15

@Godmil thanks!

P#140838 2024-01-29 19:17

@zavale, the graphics can definitely be better, the point (pun intened) of the arrow is to convey the info about where up and down is on the grid. Without the info (1st try was with just the ellipses) you get frustrated when some vertical moves don't land where you intended. Especially when you quickly press up and rotate to try to beat your high-score and end up messing the grid.
If we were on a grid with visible cell borders, a light highlight of reachable cells would do the trick nicely, for example. A light pulse of the reachable ellipses might work. (each color has a "secret" darker counterpart in the -16..-1 range)

About the triangle proportions : the base is 16 pixels, so the theoretical height of the equilateral triangle should be square root of 192, or about 13,86 pixels. Using a height of 14 instead of the current 16 should look nicer.

P#140845 2024-01-29 21:55

[Please log in to post a comment]