Hello all.
I have a problem suddenly with Visual Studio Code and I hope I've not broken something.

I found a nice bit of code on the BBS that did a circular cross fade and copied it over to my project.

When I run it through Visual Studio Code it says "WARNING NO PERMANENT STORAGE"

Then the game runs.

When I load PICO-8 it loads up fine and lets me load and run my game.

Does anyone know what I've done wrong??

I just hope it's not going to stop saving or just go ca-ca after so much work being put into it.

Thanks for your time.

P#99656 2021-11-05 23:59

I believe PICO-8 says "warning: no permanent storage" when you've provided a cart path or home path on the command line (such as via a VSCode run profile) and it doesn't have permission to write to those paths. PICO-8 features that save data to cart files (the "save" command, the cstore() function) will not operate during this session.

If you expect to use PICO-8's media editors after opening the cart in this way, you'll want to troubleshoot why PICO-8 believes it can't save data to that location. Personally, I would just not use the media editors after running the cart via VSCode, and instead open the cart directly in PICO-8 when working on graphics and sounds.

Are you using a PICO-8 specific VSCode extension or just a custom run profile? What command line is the extension or run profile using to start PICO-8?

P#99674 2021-11-06 08:15

Thanks for your reply dddaaannn.
Yeah, I'm using pico8-vscode v0.0.1 from John Barton.

AS far as I'm aware, I haven't changed any paths from when it was working properly! But having said that, VSCode did update by itself before the problem.

To be honest, I wouldn't attempt to edit graphics etc. from anywhere else than in Pico (if that's even possible). No, I just wondered if I'd broken something bad!

Unfortunately, I have no idea what's changed :(

Cheers.
Peej

P#99682 2021-11-06 12:00

Breaking after an update definitely sounds like a VSCode problem and not a you problem.

One thing you could try which might work (no promises) is to just uninstall and re-install the extension you're using. If the update overwrote some config value somewhere re-installing might fix it.

I don't use VSCode myself so I don't have more specific suggestions, unfortunately.

P#99687 2021-11-06 15:14

Thanks again, everyone.
I got it to work properly again.
It seemed that, when VSCode updated, it insisted that I'd not opened a default folder to load and save projects to. Even though it was loading and saving just fine.
Long and short of it, a default folder saved the day.

P#99707 2021-11-06 21:34

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 15:00:55 | 0.006s | Q:15