Pico's Big Adventure release!

Finally my first pico game reached a sort of completed stage: start menu, three levels, minimal sounds, gorgeous (?) graphics... I'm pretty happy with it, and I hope you'll have fun playing!

Cart #picobigadventure-5 | 2021-07-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:

• jump with X,
  • launch yoyo with C
  • launch stones with C plus down arrow
  • pickup shrubs with down arrow

The original, Terry's big adventure, had some nice ideas I managed to port here, and was somewhat original - even if I can't be sure it wasn't ripping off something, apart from being a mario clone, or at least sailing on mario popularity- due to an improbable weapon and some bizzarre enemies.

I tried to keep the code organized and readable, but lost focus here and there. If that doesn't hold you back, feel free to reuse the code. It's nothing original, but the animation system let you create a variety of behaviours, all you have to do is define some general characteristics and add sequences of sprites along with optional movement modifiers. Maps let you place enemies with the "id" sprite, and modifiers for starting behaviour and drops can be placed in an adjacent tile.
Running the cart will copy to clipboard the encoded level, even if the core game takes around 6000 tokens so it's hard to fit more than three or four levels. I want to take some time and optimize the core code, along with the encoding and storing of levels, as this kind of game can benefit from more levels.

P#94673 2021-07-10 14:44

[Please log in to post a comment]