Cart #rygb-0 | 2020-10-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Red Yellow Green Blue

Controls:

D-Pad to Move
X is next color
O is previous color
Match the circle color with the square color to move onto that square.
Collect the clock to get +10 points and +3 seconds.
Wrong moves subtract 1 second and 1 point.

My current high score: 5037
Can you beat it?

Info:

This is my first game. It's a simple color based puzzle game. Before this I didn't have any experience coding, it was a fun first project for me. I hope you enjoy playing it and would be happy to get feedback on it!

P#83043 2020-10-17 20:16 ( Edited 2020-11-14 07:19)

This is fantastic, congrats on an awesome first project! Looks/sounds/feels great. Even after a few minutes, I could feel it "training" me to look for the path with the fewest color changes and intuit the number of button presses to switch to a certain color, which is the kind of thing I find really rewarding in a puzzle game!

If you're interested in expanding or refining - I do think the time has to be pretty tight to keep such a simple premise interesting, but I can never last for many rounds and I think it could be fun to have it start out more forgiving (perhaps more time on the timer) before starting to ramp up in difficulty.

P#83046 2020-10-17 21:43

@Kittycat

Thanks for the positive feedback! I have played with the difficulty settings and found that more time would allow it to go on for too long if you get a few quick clocks in a row. A lot of it depends on the luck to the board too. At this difficult I've been able to get a score into the mid 300's, so it's possible but requires some practice! Wrong moves also punish too.

One idea I had was changing the parameters after a certain score is achieved. Such as earning less time or punishing more if the score reaches a certain amount. But as it's written now there is no change in difficulty, aside from the randomized board.

P#83048 2020-10-17 22:36 ( Edited 2020-10-17 23:10)

I really love games with simple concepts like this one! It became pretty fun and satisfying once I got the hang of it.

If you're planning on making another version of this where you expand on this concept, I have an idea or two I'd like to give.

(These are only suggestions, not requests.)
-You could make different modes with larger grids and more colors to offer a more interesting challenge. One particular idea I had was Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Purple on a 7x7 grid.
-You could experiment some more with different values for gaining and losing points and time. I'm suggesting this because after getting used to the gist of the game, it became way too easy (at least for me) and I can now get really high scores if I want to. Maybe decrease the amount of time one receives as they go further into a game, and/or speed up the time as a game moves forward.

Oh, and here's my high score to prove my point.

P#83695 2020-11-04 09:06 ( Edited 2020-11-04 09:08)

Thanks @Powblock532! I'm glad you enjoy the game. That's a pretty impressive score, I estimate it might have taken at least 20+ minutes? Once you learn the ropes and get a few lucky rolls, you can build up time and last for a quite a while. I've still only gotten up to 3k myself though. Most people I've shared it with say it's too hard, so I think there's a good learning curve. At some point it does become mostly stamina and focus, but I think the randomness of the board with punishing wrong moves keeps it challenging enough and you can still find a nice flow.

I don't have any plans to expand on this, but a leveling system would have been cool. I intentionally chose 4 colors because that way each color is only 1 or 2 button presses away. I'm very new to coding, so I kept it simple. I utilized colors which are next to each other in the Pico pallet but thought yellow and orange looked too similar. Also, the clock is the only sprite, the circle and squares all use the rectfill/circfill function, so if I wanted to expand the grid I'd probably be better off remaking the entire thing from scratch.

Thanks again for the feedback, I'll be gunning for that 11,111 score!

P#83913 2020-11-07 07:31

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 01:22:41 | 0.035s | Q:24