I´m new to pico 8 and I do my first steps in moving an sprite through an dungeon.
that works well, but i the sprite moves on and on while keeping the button pressed
I want to stop after moving one tile in the pressed direction
so for moving on and on you have to press the button over and over again
How can I do this?
I tried it whith
but it doesnt work
Thanks for help!!
Hi and welcome!
There are probably multiple ways to do this, but here's what I came up with.
First, you need to keep a few variables:
- playerX and playerY (numbers): The position of the player in tiles, not pixels.
- isMoving (boolean): Whether or not the player is moving right now
- moveX and moveY (numbers): In which direction the player is moving right now
- moveAmount (number): How much the player has moved from the original position
When a button is pressed and isMoving is false, you have to:
- Set moveX and moveY to the direction of the pressed key (e.g. if right was pressed, set moveX = 1 and moveY = 0)
- Set isMoving to true
In your _update function, if isMoving is true, do the following:
- Increment moveAmount by whatever your move speed is
- If moveAmount is greater than or equal to 8 (the tile size):
- Set isMoving to false
- Change playerX by moveX, and playerY by moveY
- Set moveAmount to 0
And in your _draw function:
- Draw the player sprite at (playerX * 8 + moveAmount * moveX, playerY * 8 + moveAmount * moveY)
Obviously, you can name your variables whatever you want, these are just names I came up with.
Also, remember that everything in _update or _draw, including loops, happens instantly in one frame.
Hope this helps!
[Please log in to post a comment]