Cart #adpz-0 | 2019-02-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It's an implementation in pico-8 of the famous puzzle game,
with one of the most beloved rulesets amongst the game's enthusiasts.

WIP.

P#61447 2019-02-01 21:09

This is great! I've been wishing for this on PICO-8 :) How about a countdown on Death? It starts rather abruptly.

P#61453 2019-02-02 00:41

Oh, yeah. Haha, I still have yet to polish it. I'm going to put that on the to-do list.

P#61455 2019-02-02 02:37

I think there should be faint lines on the screen.
At least 5 times I put a block in the wrong spot (yes, I know that lines aren't in the original Tetris, but maybe it could be an optional feature?)

Also, I'm not exactly sure how the Tetris levels work, but I've played, and it raises the level every 10 blocks or so.

P#61536 2019-02-05 14:44 ( Edited 2019-02-05 14:48)

Just some notes since I keep playing this!

The I piece seems hard to rotate, like I think it doesn't rotate once it lands? Makes for sad times.

I think the J piece rotates funny, like becomes offset to the left or something, I'm not sure.

This may be controversial, but I worked on a Tetris once, and I eventually used my Select button on my NES USB controller for a function. Maybe you could use it to implement a hold?

P#61540 2019-02-05 15:39

Hey, thank you very much for your comments. Much of it can be traced back to the version of the game I'm basing myself off for this particular cartridge.

Regarding the ghost piece, I happen to have considered that part of the polishing stage, for which I didn't have more time than the three days I put into this. As such, once I find the time to work on this again, I will most certainly add it in.

So, considering the ruleset I'm using:

The level raise is one level per line, one level per piece spawned on purpose, due to it.

The I piece doesn't kick the floor for this reason as well.

Most pieces kick right or left due to the ruleset I based this implementation from. It has a few caveats that makes it not 100% accurate to the ruleset, but it is how it works.

And, I did consider a hold function, but besides the btn() function seemingly not having a reference for a select button (going from 0 to 5) I opted to keep the hold function out and stick again, to the particular ruleset I based this on. Still, including it to support the version of the ruleset that does support hold, TGM3, is not out of the question if I learn how to use this select button, if it exists.

Sorry if I'm being vague. To be more specific, the ruleset in question is ARS (TAP) The Arika Rotation System found in Tetris the Absolute The Grand Master Plus, which is well understood and specified.

Thank you for your feedback.

P#61541 2019-02-05 16:29 ( Edited 2019-02-05 16:30)

Ahh ok, I'm not up on my rulesets really, and I just learned that I've been spoiled on some other one that is not TAP. I figured it was something like this.

As for the select button, btnp() returns 64 when the pause menu is opened, which can be suppressed with poke(0x5f30,1). This thread as more info: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3703

P#61550 2019-02-05 19:24

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 13:49:54 | 0.011s | Q:24