Okay, I think there's a very high chance of being misinterpreted here, so let me be 100% clear: I understand that sprite sheets #2 and #3 share RAM with the lower-half of the map data. That is not what I am reporting.

When I copy and paste an entire sprite in the sprite editor, with the destination in sprite page #2 or #3, then switch to the map editor, the corresponding change does not appear in the map editor.

Reproduction steps:

1. Save this cart and load it in Pico-8.

Cart #42333 | 2017-07-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

1. Select the map editor.
  2. Pan down to the yellow arrows.
  3. Select the sprite editor.
  4. Select sprite tab #3.
  5. Select sprite index 193.
  6. Press CTRL+C (or CMD+C).
  7. Select sprint index 195.
  8. Press CTRL+V (or CMD+V).
  9. Select the map editor.

Expected outcome:

The both yellow boxes of arrows should contain the same data. The left box corresponds to the memory for sprite index 193, and the right box corresponds to the memory for sprite index 195.

Actual outcome:

The yellow box on the right remains empty, as it was in step 3.

Observed in version: 0.1.10c on Mac

Analysis:

It seems the editor maintains separate GFX and map copies of the shared memory region and copies one to the other during some editing operations, but fails to keep them in sync during the paste operation.

Notes:

I think I also observed surprising behaviour in the other direction, where the pasted sprites were reverted after making unrelated map edits, but I've been unable to reproduce it when I try.

If I edit the sprite with the paintbrush after pasting it in step 9, I do see the expected outcome in the map editor. It's only when the last operation was paste that it seems to happen.

P#42335 2017-07-10 18:15 ( Edited 2017-07-10 22:25)

"I think I also observed surprising behaviour in the other direction, where the pasted sprites were reverted after making unrelated map edits, but I've been unable to reproduce it when I try."

Aha. I managed to reproduce this by tapping CMD (presumably CTRL works too on Windows?) in the map editor. Immediately upon tapping CMD, the sprite data was reverted to match what was currently showing in the map editor. I think that so long as the original bug is fixed this behaviour is entirely benign - the map and sprite data shouldn't get out of sync in the first place, so an extra sync is no problem.

P#42336 2017-07-10 18:25 ( Edited 2017-07-10 22:25)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 22:28:38 | 0.010s | Q:15