We don't have a thread for new user orientation, and I've been seeing a lot of the same posts about the lexaloffle community/accounts etc. in the BBS/forums, so I'm going to initiate this thread in the hopes that it will become a helpful repository of knowledge for the newest members of our community. Please note that this thread is operated 100% by the community.

Hi there! New to the community? Welcome! Please Read This Post. =]

What you'll find on these forums is a bunch of people who share a common interest with you: we love indie games! Most of us are here for Voxatron, currently, and it's a safe bet that you are too!

Have questions about your new lexaloffle account? Confused as to what sorts of things you can get involved in here? Just want to make some friends? Drop a post here! If you need help, and the community can give it, we'll do our best; we're really quite nice people!

First things first: for basic information about the game and its various nuances, you should head over to the Wiki.

Please note that this thread is NOT a substitution for the official lexaloffle support, and questions unanswerable here must still be directed there.

P#3403 2011-11-06 22:56 ( Edited 2011-11-21 00:24)

So, I'm just going to go ahead and ask everything I'm confused about here (pertaining to Voxatron). Is there a FAQ anywhere? It'd be helpful. :P

I'm a bit confused about the concept of BBS; is it both a forum and a way to publish and play other people's levels? For example, if I posted a level in the corresponding forum, would it automatically appear in the in-game BBS level list? Are there any ways to search for a certain level or by category in the in-game list, or would I have to look up the ID in the forums and search through the pages for it?

Sorry about these probably obvious questions, I haven't experimented around enough to figure stuff out yet. If I think of anything else, is it okay to double post here, or would it be best to edit this post? I'm not really familiar with this forum's rules and it seems every forum has a different policy on this.

P#3413 2011-11-06 23:48 ( Edited 2011-11-07 04:48)

Hello everyone! I'm new to the community and I was drawn here because of Voxatron. I'm really interested in seeing how the project progresses.

As for me myself, I'm an avid indie gamer (and gamer in general), and I'm happy to join a community that shares my interests. I discovered the indie scene a few years ago, and it has CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER... or something like that, but less dramatic.

The only question I have about the forum is this: Is there a way I can watch or follow threads easily through my account? It would really help me keep track of posts, both mine and others'. I've been looking around, and I can't find an obvious way.

P#3417 2011-11-07 00:26 ( Edited 2011-11-07 05:26)

@Rob
Is there a FAQ anywhere? It'd be helpful. :P

Yes, there is a wiki which you can find linked in the first post of this thread in which you will find most of what you are looking for. :)

Is BBS both a forum and a way to publish and play other people's levels? For example, if I posted a level in the corresponding forum, would it automatically appear in the in-game BBS level list?

The BBS is basically just a shared way of publishing user-created levels. This includes both the forum section of it and also the in-game section which allows you to directly download and play the levels. If you post a level in the corresponding forum, it will automatically appear in the in-game BBS also.

Are there any ways to search for a certain level or by category in the in-game list, or would I have to look up the ID in the forums and search through the pages for it?

Currently not, as the game is still in early alpha, but I'm sure (since the levels are in ID numerical order) that you should be able to search the pages with the low amount of levels at the moment. Hopefully this will be implemented :)

is it okay to double post here, or would it be best to edit this post?

I believe, abiding by general forum rules, that it would be best to edit the post :)

@CheeseLad
Is there a way I can watch or follow threads easily through my account?

No sorry, there is currently no way to do this but hopefully when they get the time (as they are in the busy stages of alpha), they will hopefully implement a more advanced system. At the moment the only thing you can really do is wait. I'm really glad, however, that you're a good follower of voxatron and also indie games in general :)

~ joska

P#3433 2011-11-07 02:41 ( Edited 2011-11-07 07:49)

@joska I thought you had to specifically upload your level to a certain... thingy to make it appear in the in-game list of user levels? Perhaps I'm wrong.

Edit:
There is a short thread Here that outlines what you need to do to have your custom level appear in the in-game list of user levels.

P#3462 2011-11-07 08:23 ( Edited 2011-11-07 18:09)

The new wiki is up, for anyone who is interested. See Here.

Help us out!

P#3744 2011-11-09 20:28 ( Edited 2011-11-10 01:28)

Looking to create your own character? Check out this thread listing some Character Templates you can use to get you started.

P#4248 2011-11-13 13:03 ( Edited 2011-11-13 18:03)

Still unsure of how to download all of these awesome levels you're seeing posted in the forums? It's really simple, and this thread covers where you need to save the level on most platforms. Have fun!

@CheeseLad Not really, the only posts you can see in your account are posts you've made as 'blog' posts. See my profile for some examples. Hopefully, there will be more features added to the BBS in the future, but for now, you'll just have to remember which ones you're interested in

P#4535 2011-11-16 22:05 ( Edited 2011-11-17 03:07)

Been playing around with the editor, and want to get that crazy Dragon from the in-game adventure mode into some of your levels? There is in fact a way to do this. Check out this thread for a quick, and easy tutorial on what you need to do.

~GnomeSlice

P#4714 2011-11-20 17:38 ( Edited 2011-11-20 22:38)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 08:01:49 | 0.012s | Q:22