Cart #17575 | 2015-12-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is week 4 of my blog series where I'm making a pico8 game every week.

Controls:
Arrows to move/navigate menu
X to open menu and select actions
Z to cancel menu

Actions:
Hunt: Get meat, in spring you don't lose hunger due to finding berries.
Chop Wood: Gather wood for building fires in winter
Build Fire: Build a fire using 2 wood, in winter fires are required to keep from freezing to death. You also only regenerate health when full health, 0 cold and near a fire.
Eat: Eat 1 meat to restore 3 hunger points.

If your health reaches 0, or if you get as cold as your remaining health you lose.

This game is meant to be rather hard, but I didn't have time to balance it. So it may or may not be hard at all.

You can find my blog post here: quidditycode.com

P#17574 2015-12-07 01:17 ( Edited 2015-12-19 16:06)

Currently this game requires you to count how long things take because there's no timer visible and no warnings. For instance if I have one health but full food, I take a step to the right, and it is suddenly winter, so I freeze to death. I don't even see the snow, only a death screen. This could be fixed by a simple 'turn' counter even if you didn't have an explicit warning that the next turn is Winter because players could quickly memorize how long Summer and Winter last...

Also, there is a bug: When you press 'cancel' in the menu you skip a turn, but not if you hit 'Z'.

Once I figured it out, it seemed like a pretty interesting game, and I think if I were a bit more careful I could eventually obtain a surplus of food and wood, therefore pretty much "beating" this game. All it really needs is better feedback i.e. if I suddenly die I would like the game to show me how I died before going to the game over screen, even if the death made logical sense.

P#17591 2015-12-07 19:44 ( Edited 2015-12-08 01:03)

I REALLY loved your game. So simple but really well thought out. However, I don't think cancelling your move should count as a day.

P#17927 2015-12-19 11:06 ( Edited 2015-12-19 16:06)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 19:26:14 | 0.009s | Q:15