Cart #paddle1956-0 | 2021-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hello! This is my first blog on what I hope will turn into a fulfilling hobby. This is Paddle, my first game.

Some background on me: My experience in computer languages and coding is extremely limited. I played around with a Raspberry Pi when I was in high school - making it into an emulator that played old GBA games. I completely failed my computing A-Level, but I have built a PC. But I’ve always thought being a game developer would be something that would be really cool to be. My interest has just fluctuated a lot.

The first time I thought that I wanted to work with games was watching the documentary, Indie Game: The Movie. But I’ve always been too lazy or been playing too many games to actually sit down and make one. I hope this is one of many that are to come to you, whoever you are.

I made this following a tutorial by a guy called Alex Mole. He contributed it to Picozine back in 2014, there will be a link below this article if you want to try it out for yourself! My biggest struggle was adding the Game Over screen to appear on the last life. It kept appearing when the player had 0 lives left but was still living out that last life!

To fix it I had to change the IF THEN ELSE function to just to two IF THEN’s. It felt like sticking it together with tape but it works and I’m happy enough with that for my first game.

See you soon!

Link to Pico-zines: https://sectordub.itch.io/pico-8-fanzine-1

P#101685 2021-12-06 23:14

too fast

P#101890 2021-12-07 16:32

Hey congrats!
It's always nice to finish a thing and bask in that feeling for a bit before moving on to the next thing. Even more so when it's your first thing, so well done and welcome!

"It felt like sticking it together with tape but it works and I’m happy enough with that..."

Haha! Yeah, get used to that feeling. It's definitely nice to be able to find simple, elegant solutions to problems but, "well, it's ugly but it works," is a lot more common than you might think. You'd think the problem would go away as you get better but a lot of the time it's just that the tape jobs get more complicated! It's all good though, as long as you're having fun with it.

"My experience in computer languages and coding is extremely limited."

One of the things I personally really like about the community here is that there are people with all sorts of different experiences. Some complete beginners, some with programming experience but not game making experience, artists and musicians who decided to try their hand making a game and even people who work or have worked in the games industry and everything in-between. It's a pretty interesting intersection of people. Don't be afraid to ask questions even if you're worried it might be, "too easy" or whatever. Everybody's gotta start somewhere and most people around here are pretty friendly, in my experience.

Congrats again on finishing a project and best of luck with your future ones!

P#101907 2021-12-07 17:46

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 06:14:52 | 0.010s | Q:20