Cart [#38007#] | Copy | Code | 2017-03-03 | Link

EDIT: All articles are now up, see below for links!

So, I've been working on a game again (which now has a name: Dank Tombs), and it includes a really swanky real-time lighting engine. Working on it was a blast and I learned a lot of good stuff when optimizing it, so I decided to clean up the code, share it here and write a series of posts on it so that others can benefit as well :).

Here is part 1,part 2, part 3 and part 4 of the write-up - if you have an hour, you can read them all in one go :).

This is just a demo, so most of the cart is showing off the tech.
Controls: (O)/(X) change the light radius, d-pad walks around

If you want to explore the cartridge for yourself, the best place to start from is probably _draw() - it references all the interesting stuff and clearly shows what order things happen in.

The code is under a CC-BY-SA license, so feel free to repurpose stuff :).

lighting realtime demo
P#37083 2017-02-02 12:57

Cart [#26894#] | Copy | Code | 2016-08-14 | Link

Controls: Arrow keys - for moving around, O - for stabbing things and controlling menus, X - for blocking things that try to stab you, hold O - for a super-charged attack, double tap direction - for dashing to safety.

So, this is The Lair, a PICO-8 fantasy beat'em up that I've been working on and tweeting about since forever. Try it and let me know what you think!

It's also on itch.io and Kongregate if you prefer to play there.

The whole game was made by two people: @gruber_music, who provided (you guessed it) the audio parts, and me, who provided... everything else ;).

The whole thing is CC to encourage you to do whatever you want with it, but the PNG version is unfortunately minified, so I made a readable .p8 file available as well :).

Have fun!

P#26851 2016-08-13 13:21

Cart [#26315#] | Copy | Code | 2016-08-02 | Link

Just got back from Crete, and had a hankering for some PICO-8. Made you all a postcard to get back in the programming groove :).

P#26316 2016-08-02 08:57

I had an idea for a musical game for the Pico, and wanted to verify whether the idea would work within the audio limitations first. Turns out, it wouldn't - but the toy I used to verify that turned to be lots of fun and took on a life of its own, so that's a win, I guess :).

Cart [#20406#] | Copy | Code | 2016-05-10 | Link

Z - add/erase notes | select options in the menu
X - change instrument
hold X - back to menu

Just put some notes on the grid to get a feel for it. You can save your songs to the cart itself, and I guess also share your crazy creations as cartridges here using that option:). There is also a demo song in there if you want to check out one of mine (disclaimer: not a musician by far, listen at your own risk).

Have fun! All comments, suggestions and ideas much appreciated :).

music toy
P#20407 2016-05-10 16:29

So, I just recently heard about PICO-8 and fell in love with the concept, especially since a lot of my game-related projects recently end up crumbling under their own weight. Thankfully, there is no way to do that to yourself with the constraints of the Pico, so I hope to finish a few small games for it to get my groove back :).

Cart [#20306#] | Copy | Code | 2016-05-08 | Link

This is my first Pico project. It's just a Minesweeper clone - I wanted to start with a known quantity just to get a feel for Lua and the API. I figured that in the unlikely event that the Pico becomes a hit handheld console, at least all those Minesweeper fans will have an implementation ready to go.

Then I found about the search function in splore and realized that somebody already made one :). Well, I guess there is two to choose from now :).

P#20304 2016-05-08 07:42

:: More
X
About | Contact | Updates | Terms of Use
Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2017-05-22 21:31 | 0.278s | 1835k | Q:42