Cart #zononutatu-0 | 2023-10-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A tiny little survival horror game! 💀

FLY GOD

-a mini horror quest-

SUPER SPECIAL THANKS TO MBoffin (Dylan Bennett) for map collision stuff.

WARNING

This game has some mild pixelated blood and gore, viewer digression is advised.

This game also has flashing images, which can bother those who have sensitivity to such things.

Also, this is the first game I've made. So it has horrible code, sound and graphics. I'm sorry about that! :)

CONTROLS

ARROW KEYS - move character
[X] (keyboard X) - accept/close menu
[O] (keyboard Z) - pull up menu/statistics

PREMISE

This game is a tiny little survival horror game made with PICO-8. The goal was to see if I could make something creepy in such a restrictive environment.

You wake up in dark woods. Everything is pitch black except the light emitted from your dim lantern. The goal is to escape the woods - alive! A creature known as the FLY GOD is hunting you and will take you away if you're caught. You can not fight - running away is your only defense.

INSTRUCTIONS

To control your player, use the DIRECTION KEYS. To go to different areas, just walk to the edge of the screen. (Be careful the FLY GOD has a tendency to pop up and grab you near the edge of the screen!) You will have to find the way out of the woods to beat the game. Avoid touching the FLY GOD creature, if it touches you... you will be dragged away and lose the game.

To help you, there are some items...

TAROT CARD - There are two tarot card pickups in the game, one near the beginning and one hidden. Tarot cards are completely optional and are not needed to beat the game. Once you pick up a tarot card, you get a random card - which can give you a good or bad effect.

There are also a couple items which are needed to complete the game. The items will automatically be used when you need them, after you've collected the needed item, of course.

Use the [O] button (keyboard X) to pull up the game paused menu... this will show your inventory, the current tarot card you carry, and your sanity level.

SANITY - Your sanity meter will slowly drain as you play, once your sanity level starts getting pretty low, you'll notice weird in-game happenings such as an odd sound effect and messages popping up on screen. If your sanity meter completely depletes, you lose the game.

GOOD LUCK!

P#136621 2023-10-30 16:11 ( Edited 2023-10-31 23:04)

This is pure awesomness! Atmospheric as hell! I love how such simple artwork can generate such a feel! And those reflection in the water, wow!

P#136623 2023-10-30 17:05

Wow, this is great - A simple set up creates such a dense atmosphere! Horror in 8bit can work, thanks for sharing this game! I`m still trying to beat it

P#136668 2023-10-31 10:33

Thanks for the kind comments, guys! I am glad atmosphere was mentioned, I tried everything I could to make it atmospheric.

P#136715 2023-10-31 23:20

Nice short game. Not sure what's going on but I've reached the end and it's enough for me.

P#136785 2023-11-02 07:52

[Please log in to post a comment]