Cart [#hugodoriwe-0#] | Code | 2019-07-24 | No License | Embed

Hi everyone,

This is my first Pico-8 game. Its a Tamagotchi-style pet sim. It definitely needs some more polish and tweaking, but it's feature complete at this point. I'd like to get some constructive criticism about the game. Especially if there is anything really confusing about the game or interface that needs to be fixed. There should be enough information in-game to understand the systems after a little trial and error.

It's not explicitly stated, but the ideal ending is for the pet to die of old age which will only happen after purchasing all four hats (should happen in less than 30 seconds after purchasing the fourth hat).

There is a fair amount of randomness, so even the most skilled player will not be able to complete this goal every time. That will most likely not change. Any other comments and suggestions are appreciated.

The main title/gameover screens are unfinished and I might add some sort of final score I guess. I know the art isn't great and there isn't any music - those are areas I struggle with.

FYI, there is no ABPS 1. Also, I don't believe pet ownership is really slavery. I'll probably remove that in the final game.

Hope you enjoy playing it for a few minutes!

P#66062 2019-07-24 04:48

Very cute! My very first play seemingly ended in seconds because my slime "died of a heat stroke" but I was able to play for a good deal of time after restarting. Took a few of my pets lives to really get a grip on things but everything plays out really well!

Your comment of "pet ownership is slavery" made me laugh, it became even funnier when you have to make your sick pet work to afford their own medicine. $500 to cure fatal asthma is pretty brutal but I guess that's just life in this slimey world 😎

P#66072 2019-07-24 17:29

@MasterNyborg

I definitely need to do a balance pass on the illnesses and clean some things up, but I do like the little things that sort of unintentionally emerged during development, like going to work sick. Sometimes I intentionally keep the pet sick on purpose which I feel guilty about :)

Thanks for trying it!

P#66080 2019-07-24 23:58

LOL that went from zero to "dead of bone cancer" in a hurry! ;-)

This is an awesome idea. I love the art style!

P#69731 2019-11-08 05:11

Cart [#abps2-0#] | Code | 2019-11-11 | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA | Embed

Updated version

I've add a bit more to this game and I think it's almost complete now. Just need to play a bunch of times for balance testing.

I'm working on a manual for the game as well but it's not entirely finished. You can download the pdf manual here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85f0w3jw30kzno4/Acid%20Blob%20Pet%20Simulation%202%20Manual.pdf?dl=0

feedback is appreciated!

P#69828 2019-11-11 22:34 ( Edited 2019-11-11 22:35)
:: dw817

Get pet.
Examine buttons for less than 20 seconds.
Pet gets sick.
Go to doctor's.
Try vaccine.
Says I must examine sickness first.
Try examination.
Says I don't have enough money for an examination.
Pet dies. Total life-span, <1 minute.

There ya go.

You might look to Tamagotchi for an example of a durable virtual pet.

https://youtu.be/IgAhLn1gXX0

P#69831 2019-11-11 23:48

[Please log in to post a comment]

About | Contact | Updates | Terms of Use
Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2019-11-14 12:00 | 0.037s | 4194k | Q:42