Web
Analytics

Cart [#47471#] | Copy | Code | 2017-12-17 | Link

Hopefully this uploaded correctly.

This is my newest game, phantom.

It's the game where you listen to some ghosts dump their emotional bullshit onto you.

Warning for mentions of suicide, self harm, and abuse.

This game can also be found here: https://starsculptor.itch.io/phantom

The engine for writing text in Gohufont is incredibly messy. If enough people want, I'll clean that up and upload that function by itself here.

P#47472 2017-12-17 11:14 ( Edited 2018-11-04 21:03)

::

thank you for making this. it's beautiful art, and a great demonstration of what new media indie stuff can be

P#58729 2018-11-03 16:55

enoshimaaa (or should that be EMOshimaaa) why write carts on self harm and abuse ?

It's some sterling work of programming, just not getting why those elements have to be in there ...

P#58732 2018-11-03 17:15

@dw817 Please don't do that with people's names. It's not in the spirit of an open, welcoming community. On a different note, I don't feel they really need to justify to anyone why their game has those elements. Some games just have that. If it's not for you, that's okay; just move on.

P#58777 2018-11-04 19:06

I'm sorry, MBoffin. I struggle with depression and suicide daily and take anti-psychotics for them, Seroquel 400mg every evening. And yes I've been institutionalized for my thoughts of self-harm in the past - for months at a time.

My Dad always managed to get me out, the last time through some rather unconventional means as my doctor did not want me to leave at all.

But my Dad is gone now. I was later told if I am ever put back in the ward for whatever the reason, I won't be getting out again this time ...

I'm just not seeing how hurting one self and messages encouraging self-harm and abuse of oneself are a good thing.

I did try to temper my feelings by posting a different cart by the same author in a much more favorable light.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=28660

This particular cart hit a nerve. It does happen. I'm not going to be suddenly well tomorrow just as I suspect Enoshimaaa will be either. I do apologize for the name-calling and for that I am truly sorry ...

But even talking about self-harm and self abuse online is a very serious thing, and not to be taken lightly.

If this community is going to readily accept games or carts that teach real self-harm and abuse of oneself - that is of its own volition and I lay aghast in its decision.

P#58778 2018-11-04 19:59 ( Edited 2018-11-04 20:41)

Understood. Which is why I think it was probably good they responsibly posted the appropriate content warnings on their cart. I wasn't accepting or rejecting their cart (it's not my place to do so). I mostly just wanted to clarify that some games deal with tough subjects and that's okay. Sometimes making games about or with those subjects is how the developer is dealing with those subjects. (For example, Dear Esther or That Dragon, Cancer .)

P#58781 2018-11-04 20:54

It was responsible to post the content as being Restricted. I don't think I can guarantee everyone in here is over 18-years old.

Now I know kids today can readily find adult content online without working at it too hard - I guess what I'm getting at is, do we need to start rating these games like companies do ?

Maybe I would've felt better about that, I just don't know ... And maybe this particular cart is rated as you might rate the other three you mentioned:

Rating this particular cart as TEEN or MATURE 17+

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx

P#58784 2018-11-04 21:03 ( Edited 2018-11-04 21:08)

user:
password:

New User | Account Help
:: New User
X
About | Contact | Updates | Terms of Use
Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2018-11-15 17:50 | 0.257s | 1835k | Q:23